OneDrive sync restriction not working properly - some legit machines blocked.

Deleted
Not applicable

We've recently deployed OneDrive for Business for a customer and we set up the client sync restriction to the domain GUID. There seem to be some HUGE issues with the feature to make me think it's buggy.

Issue #1 - Random computers on the "allowed" domain are not recognised as such and clients are denied sync. The error thrown is "Sorry, OneDrive can't add your folder right now." Furthermore, Fiddler shows an HTTP response "X-ClientErrorCode: MachineIsNotAllowedToSync". 

Issue #2 - Users randomly get a problem in Office ProPlus when opening OneDrive files. For example, in Excel, going to the "Open" menu item and select OneDrive as the storage location, they are prompted for credentials to sign-in. When they enter correct credentials, the error thrown is "That Microsoft account doesn't exist. Enter a different account or get a new one."

For both of these issues, disabling the OneDrive for Business client restriction fixes the problem immediately. I've also tested affected client computers both on the local network (which has a proxy) and direct Internet access.

Anyone seen this behaviour? I'd love to see some documentation on how the domain GUID is confirmed at the client-side to point me in the right direction.

1 Reply

Yes I am seeing this same problem and others.

I have a PC joined to the domain that cannot download or sync onedrive or sharepoint files. I have a PC NOT joined to any domain that CAN download or sync onedrive or sharepoint files.

If I refresh my browser page (F5) this restriction is added, then removed, in other words its toggled.

There is something not working here I thinks.