SOLVED

OneDrive stuck on "getting in sync" icons

Iron Contributor

Recently I upgraded my sync client and now my OneDrive says it is up to date but the folders and files always show the "getting in sync" icon. What should I do to fix? Running Build 17.3.7078.1026

47 Replies

Oops, I spoke too soon. The 'synching' icons are back

That worked @John Myer 
Its March 2019 and this process of creating, copying and deleting folders & files is still the solution to a very basic and yet important problem.
- And I did NOT even sync the files when a Windows Update was in process

This worked great! Thanks!
Worked for me - thanks @David Lodge

I attempted to use @David Lodge  's solution to no avail. However, I didn't find any temporary files or hidden files keeping things locked up, and nothing within the folders showing out of sync. 

However, I also am running Google Backup & Sync (two clouds are better than one, eh?) and when I clicked on the icon for that, I was given notice about removing several items from Google's servers that I had deleted locally at some point recently. When I confirmed I wanted to remove them from the cloud, the icons updated almost instantly on my desktop. Hope this helps somebody!

It works for me, thank you! I found some temporary files that I just deleted. The problem is gone.

@Susan McClements 

I had the same problem with my OneDrive (I think they don't call it "OneDrive Business" anymore, it is just "OneDrive ****mycompanyname****).

I solved it by changing my OneDrive folder when setting OneDrive up. When it throws you the dialog "There is already a OneDrive folder on your PC, do you want to select the same folder or change it?" or something like that, you should change the folder and see if the syncing starts again. With my laptop it did.

This problem was with OneDrive (Business?) version Build 19.192.0926.0011 on November 6th 2019. 

For what is worth and people coming here for answers.... Run a CHKDSK /SCAN on your disk... if you have errors in the disk, like reparse errors, OneDrive will get stuck and none of the workarounds here will work... you have to repair the errors using CHKDSK...

HTH

Daniel