Multiple companies in one tenant - OneDrive Sync Client custom folder naming policy

Iron Contributor

Hi,

When syncing a OneDrive for Business account with OneDrive Sync Client (18.025.0204.0009), two folders are created: 

• OneDrive - Contoso
  • Contoso

42c4d4ca-652d-4a14-ad07-7303c7740dbc[1].png

This is a tenant with multiple companies/organisations.

I would like to know where this name 'Contoso' is sourced from and if it can be different on a per user or per security group basis?

Also, if this name can be additionally customised, like 'OneDrive - Contoso - John.Doe'?

Thanks,

5 Replies
  • "OneDrive - Contoso" is the tree label under which you will find the items synced from your ODfB doclib in the "Contoso" tenant.
  • "Contoso" is the tree label under which you will find the items synced from other doclibs (i.e. from team sites, Groups, and other users' ODfBs) in the "Contoso" tenant.

Hence the name "Contoso" is the name of the tenant:  if it cannot be different on a per user or per security group basis and cannot be additionally customized. 

Hello,

if I remember well you can do your customization when you are in the phase of creation of the directory that point to your ODfB space, there you can choose the name that the system suggest or you can point to a directory that you choose and that has the name that you want.

--

Regards,

Marco

Sorry, but that is not correct.

You can choose the root folder inside which the above-mentioned folders will be created, but not their names.

Hope it helps...

like @Salvatore Biscari said, it is not possible to change the actual name of the root directory itself. However, you can choose the location of the root directory.

So, you can choose:
C:\Path\To\A\Location
and then OneDrive will create a folder in that location like:
C:\Path\To\A\Location\OneDrive - Contoso and C:\Path\To\A\Location\Contoso
Deleting that folder will not happen at all, if you temporarily disable OneDrive. After deleting that folder, re-enable OneDrive and the folder will no longer appear duplicated in OneDrive.