Anyway to check from computer/O365-backend if user is using old ODB-sync tool(groove.exe) for sync?

Deleted
Not applicable
About the topic is there a way to see if user has activated the old ODB-sync tool meaning groove.exe and syncing SPO-libraries with it? Would like to know If there would be some register value on computer to check or get the info from O365 backend? We are moving towards ODB New Generation Sync Tool and would like to find out if some of our users has started using the old one, before we change it to the new one.
7 Replies

Thanks for the link, but it doesn't tell a method for checking if Groove is enabled meaning user is using it to sync files, only that Groove is installed and that we know since it's coming with Office 2013 that we use.

OK but you want to check if they sync to SharePoint as that is the only thing you would need groove or what is the purpose of your question?

kr,

Paul

I would like to know if they are syncing Sharepoint or ODB since our idea is that we uninstall groove and put only the new sync client for users. This because when having both clients it confuses users and also the groove is more in error state compared to the new sync client. By knowing who are using groove for syncing we could exclude these from the distribution of the new client and ask if they have need to sync SPO libraries.

if i am correct you have to search each device if they have libraries as folders on there machines. i think it is hard to check.

kr,

Paul

We used a tool (Tanium) to scrape the registries of users and look at the "LocalSyncClientDiskLocation" at HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Internet\LocalSyncClientDiskLocation as a REG_MULTI_SZ value.  If the path has "Sharepoint" in it (i.e. C:\Users\<Username>\Sharepoint\, or doesn't contain "OneDrive - <YourInstitution>", then that is a Sharepoint sync.

so there is an Update for Groove.exe, that brings an automatic transition to NGSC :

here you find it on my Blog.