SOLVED

Announcement: New OneDrive Admin Center Preview

Microsoft

Over the past year, OneDrive has evolved at a rapid pace introducing new features for end users and IT, across sync, web, and mobile. As the number of users and usage continues to grow, our customers have asked for an easier way to administer their company OneDrive settings and policies. Today, we’re excited to announce the rollout of the OneDrive admin center preview to First Release customers and we want to hear your feedback.

Once deployed to your tenant, all tenant and SharePoint admins will have permissions to access the OneDrive admin center preview at https://admin.onedrive.com.

Key features by section include:

1. Home: This is the dashboard for the admin center and will soon show recent Office 365 Message Center posts and usage reporting related to OneDrive for Business.
  2. Sharing: This section helps admins gain control over how and with whom your users are sharing information. This includes controlling the use of external sharing and anonymous links, as well as limiting which external domains users can share with.
  3. Sync: Admins can block syncing of specific file types and deny syncing to non-domain joined PCs.
  4. Storage: This section allows admins to easily set default storage limits and document retention durations.
  5. Device Access: This gives admins control over how and from where a user can access their files. This includes allow/deny access from personal devices or specific networks as well as rich Mobile Application Management Intune policies for iOS and Android.
  6. Compliance: Admins can find quick links to the Office 365 Security and Compliance Center for key scenarios like auditing, data loss prevention, retention, and eDiscovery.

Please have a look at the preview and provide us your feedback and comments below. Our plan is to begin the generally available rollout later next month and subsequently add a link from the Office 365 admin center.

Thank you!

Stephen Rose

Director, OneDrive Product Marketing

120 Replies

This is great. How would you rank these? In what order?

Why is this on the onedrive.com domain?  Our company currently blocks onedrive.com as it is a personal cloud storage site.   OD4B is currently hosted on sharepoint.com. Why would Microsoft have an admin tool that is not even in the same domain as the app it is administering?

For many companies (especially smaller ones) OneDrive is a standalone product that is not connected to SharePoint on any level. SharePoint is our product that leads collaboration while OneDrive is the connective tissue between these products including SharePoint, Teams, Yammer, Delve and more.

As we continue to grow OneDrive features and functionality, having OneDrive's ability to be a true standalone product as well as be part of our productivity suite will become even more critical.

If you can make it possible, I'd say #1 is the ability to set the default sharing option to read-only links. The rest doesnt really matter as we have them available in PowerShell, though it will be easier for people if they're availble in the ODFB admin portal too.

@Stephen Rose

+1 for @Vasil Michev request: ability to set default type of sharing 

I understand your point @Stephen Rose, but this will be an issue for Enterprise organizations. I presented on this very topic last night at a local user group and more than one participant mentioned that they are blocking consumer OneDrive URL. 

Understood. They could just use applocker to block the app locally if they choose.We see some customers doing that as well as implementing features in W10 that would restrict sharing, copying and placement of docs into anything but ODB (WIP + Device Guard)

Hi Stephen,

I'd like to now if we can also include AAD domains in the restriction of sycning OneDrive. I have some customers that have remote users in different countries that have AAD joined  (Intune Managed) devices. For which I would like to allow OneDrive sync.

Thanks much.

Gr,
Ronald

I will have more to share on that next month. Stay tuned :)

I followed the PS commands to get my local domain GUID, after which I added it to the "allow syncing to specific domains" in the OD4B Sync admin area, but it will not retain the settings even after clicking Save.

Tried several times, even had another Adminstrator try, but no luck. Everything looks correct, but when I go back and check, there is nothing listed. It simply will not save the domain GUID information. It doesnt even give an error message.

Am I doing something wrong?

Is anyone else having this same issue?

Why would you use the consumer onedrive.com URL? Most enterprises block consumer services and this just makes our lives a pain because now we have to get this URL whitelisted. Why not integrate it into another business URL that Office 365 uses?

It is only for Enterprise Plan or including SMB Plan? 

My understanding is that the new OneDrive Admin Center is going to be available for all Office 365 plans

Run get-addomain abd it will return the domain guid

To be complete

Just copy paste this in powershell on your Domain controller

$domains = (Get-ADForest).Domains; foreach($d in $domains) {Get-ADDomain -Identity $d | Select ObjectGuid} 

Great feature set in this admin portal.

OneDrive for Business is built on the SharePoint platform, so I don't understand your point. An admin center should not have a consumer URL unless its for consumer services. Most enterprises block consumer services because they are a security risk. Its another short sighted decision on Microsoft part again.

Don't put SharePoint Online 'Sharing' options in the ODB Admin center.  This adds confusion and another area where Admins configure SharePoint related settings?  Keep it scoped to ODB Only.

odbadmin.png

These files live in ODFB and, with our NGSC, will have the ability to be synched directly to and from your ODB client. Hence why we added this here. Some choices were made based on where the product is going, not just where it sits today.

Thanks for your feedback. I will share it with engineering.

Understood. I will share your feedback with engineering.
Great news had a first look looks great!