Outlook 2007 connectivity to Office 365 ending in Oct 2017

Microsoft

Hey all. I wanted to give you a heads up on an upcoming deprecation in Office 365. On Oct 31, 2017, RPC/HTTP will be deprecated in Exchange Online in favor of MAPI/HTTP, a modern protocol launched in May 2014. Outlook 2007 does not work with MAPI/HTTP. This means that in order to continue email connectivity, Outlook 2007 customers will need to update to a newer version of Outlook or use Outlook on the web.

Additionally, Outlook 2010-2016 customers will need to ensure their version of Outlook for Windows is setup to support MAPI/HTTP. Minimum required versions are:

• Office 2016 plus PU.2015.12
  • Office 2013 SP1 plus PU.2015.12
  • Office 2010 SP2 plus PU.2015.12
  • These updates can be accessed via the KB article located here

Additionally, customers may need to ensure their Outlook clients are not using a registry key to block MAPI/HTTP. Details about this registry key can be found in this KB article on our support site

The links here should have all the answers you need, but let me know if you have any other questions.

8 Replies

Is this somehow related to the protocol an account uses (Exchange, IMAP, POP) or it's just software itself?

This is fully related to the protocol. Outlook 2007 will continue to work if you are connecting to POP/IMAP accounts. Although Oct 2017 will also mean the end of support, which means you will no longer get security or bug fixes that were available as part of the extended support lifecycle.

Hello,

after this I can continue to download my mail via Outlook 2007 from Exchange Online even if the client adn the protocol is no more unsupported?

Marco

The product will continue working, though in an unsupported state. You should be planning your move to a more modern version of Outlook/Office.

Hello,

thanks for your quick reply. It continues to work supporting pop3/imap or even the connection to Exchange online via RPC over HTTP:I.e. after 31 October I continue to download and sync my mail or not?

Marco

You can still connect to POP3/IMAP. For now, you will still be able to use RPC over HTTP to connect to Office 365 for now. It will just no longer be supported and will continue to get worse over time. I would not recommend staying on 2007. The product is over 10 years old - time to join the modern world! 

Allen

Will Office /Outllok 2007 still work with Microsoft 365 (Exchange online)?  We want to move exchange first, and update to Office 2016 in December.

Yes, it will still connect until at least the start of 2018. It will just no longer be supported and will continue to get worse over time. I would not recommend staying on 2007.