sending from multiple domains in outlook web

Copper Contributor

Hi, 

I know this has been asked before but I am reading lots of contradictory statements.

Is there a way to add multiple domain names to one Office 365 email account?

I see the connected accounts have been removed too.

Does that mean there is no way to have one shared mailbox with more than one domain coming in (ie john@domain1.com, john@domain2.com) and also reply using the right email address.

And also, when composing a new message, choose the right one?

Is there any way to do this at all, even if we paid for each email account per domain separately (which I'd rather not have to do of course).

Thanks

John

6 Replies

Hi John,

For short, there is only one reply address per mailbox. So, to use multiple reply addresses, you need more mailboxes. You can use shared or regular mailboxes for that purpose. The former doesn't require license and for the latter you can purchase email-only licenses which are must cheaper than full E3.

Thanks for the reply. But could you help clarify a couple of issues please?

When you say I'd need more mailboxes but I can use shared mailbox, how does that work? I tried to make my account into a shared mailbox yesterday (after giving a colleague admin rights as I couldn't change my own account...) but it said I would lose admin abilities - is that right?

If it is right, then presumably I'll need to buy another account to be admin?s What level do I need to pay for to have admin rights over 365 Business Premium users?

I followed some instructions for setting up a DL and that comes in, but when I try to reply, I can't reply from the original to: address, only the main one (others have previously said that should work).

Finally (sorry) - the connected accounts loss. Is there now no way to use a mailbox as a unified mailbox to pull in accounts from Gmail etc? If not, it would seem staying with Google would make more sense as at lest it allows that. We can't be flipping between mailboxes all the time.

Many thanks for your help

John

Hi John,

I'll try to clarify some things here. You do need one mailbox per reply address. 

So let's say your current email address is user@company.com. If you need another reply address, say user2@company.com, you need another mailbox. This mailbox can be a shared one or regular mailbox.

As the name suggests, shared mailbox is meant for addresses such as sales@company.com. They do not need a license and they have smaller quota than regular mailboxes. But, you can create a shared mailbox with address user2@company.com and "add" user@company.com to it (=give full access & send as permissions). After a while, the another mailbox appears to your Outlook and now you can choose which email address to use.

Process is same with the regular mailbox: create a new user, give license to create the mailbox, and give permissions.

Being a user with admin rights doesn't require a license. Just create a user and give, for instance, Global Administrator rights.

As far as I know, you cannot reply as DL.

I wasn't aware of removal of the connected accounts feature - thanks for sharing! If you are using Outlook (client), you can and your Google account as IMAP. That doesn't help Outlook (web) users though. Or, you can simply forward your mail from Google to Office 365.

Thanks for the detailed reply although I'm still a bit confused ;) My fault, not yours!

Yes, the connected accounts removal is a big loss it seems. I replaced my terrible overpriced piece of junk Macbook Pro that fell apart with a lovely cheap Chromebook (and also built a brilliant Hackintosh desktop - all for the price of the refund of the Macbook Pro ;) )

I tend to use Ubuntu on the Chromebook though, not the Chome o/s.

The Android Outlook client that runs in Chrome o/s has connected accounts, I just tried it, but I can't flip back and forth between Ubuntu and Chrome all the time (it's only a key combination but it sometimes causes a crash and I prefer to stay in Ubuntu on the laptop).

My desktop(s) are Macs so I can use the outlook app on those but I like to use email from the cloud rather than download (not totally sure why, maybe force of habit having used Google for so long?).

I really like the idea of moving all my staff over to Office 365 but until I can get this sorted it's going to be a bit of a problem. I'll have to dig in to it more.

But at least now I know what can't be done, and have some options for what can. Thanks for the help and saving me some time!

John

Hi John,

google for ChooseFrom 365 cloud service.

Regards,

Victor Ivanidze

Thanks Victor. I have seen that before but, apart from adding more cost, it seems to require putting the sending address in the subject line which is simply not practical for most of my users. It needs to be like it is now in Google Mail - a simple dropdown From:... option.

And it needs to work on the web version too. Two of us are now using Chromebooks for our main laptops which are perfect (well, 99% of the time) and although we can use the Android app on them, I spend most (virtually all) of my time in Ubuntu on it, so that's no use to me.

Connected accounts have recently been removed from the web version too so it's not looking promising over all. 

I've just tried the app version on my mac desktop and there I can connect a Google account ok, and when I go into the Android app on the Chromebook I can add it (it's already set up, it seems, I just need to add it) but it wants 'offline access'. I don't know if that means it wants to download all my emails to the Chromebook - but I can't risk allowing it as this is a years old account with a LOT of email/attachments.

Also, I have 'work online' on the Mac app, but it still seems to be syncing the Google account (actually, it seems to have stopped at 2 years worth of email). No idea if that is taking up storage space or not on my hard-drive? Not a major worry here but it would be on the Chromebook - although again, I use Ubuntu so...

One of the reasons for the potential move is to really use the eco-system and it seems if I were to have to use a non-standard email app on Ubuntu (never mind the Chrome o/s app issues) that wouldn't work well.

Maybe I'm being unfair and making a fuss over nothing. It can happen ;) 

Another part of the issue is we have some historic email accounts with G-Suite that use our own domains with from when it was free so we have that grandfathered free forever (it seems), as well as a couple of paid for accounts. I suppose I'm reluctant to stop having the free ones that work fine, if it means paying more elsewhere - especially for a reduced email service web-wise, ie the apparent inability to use one unified inbox for multiple accounts on the cloud version.

Sorry Victor, probably more than you needed to know but might help someone else if they have any thoughts or I am missing something? 

Actually, I should speak to Microsoft directly I guess and at the least tell them the lack of unified inbox/connected accounts etc on the web version is losing them sales to Google. We're not big enough for them to care about, but others are - I'd hope!

Thanks