"Something wen't wrong" when trying to start Outlook.

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Since yesterday I cannot start Outlook anymore. 

It started with Outlook that indicated that I had to enter a password, but when I clicked it a pop-up came that also disappeared immediately (same pop-up as in the gif).

OneNote wouldn't log me on either so I uninstalled Microsoft Office and ran the o15-ctrremove.diagcab to completely remove Microsoft Office. 

As well as all my generic credentials in the credential manager. 

I removed all my profiles, but now I cannot create a new profile.

I keep getting an error:

Something went wrong and Outlook couldn't set up your account. Please try again. 

I can still not log on OneNote either! I keep getting this strange pop-up and than an error.

I thought that the pop-up could be a browser that tried to authenticate so I've also made IE my default browser.

See the Gif and screenshot for more information. 

Can someone help me? This is getting quite annoying...

EDIT: 

- Different windows profile does work on my laptop.

- On the corrupt profile a colleague cannot log on either.

It looks like Microsoft authenicating is bugged in my profile. 
What folder does Microsoft Office use to authenticate? Id like to re-name this folder..

EDIT 2: 

I cannot add a Microsoft account to my laptop either.. Something seems fishy.

4 Replies
I've re-named all Office 365 folders in Roaming and Local, but no success.
I can log on with a different profile, so something is messing it up for me...

Hi Bas,

I had issues a little while ago with adding a microsoft account, it turned out the default user account was corrupt. I had to copy the default profile from another machine (windows 10 in my case). That fixed my problems, might be worth a shot?

That pop-up looks like a modern authentication window. You could try disabling it by adding the following registry key:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity]
"EnableADAL"=dword:00000000

I don't suggest this as a long term solution, but at least you will know if it's related to modern auth or not.

I am getting the very same problem today. I turned off my computer on Friday, turned in on today and tried to read some e-mails but it did not start. I have windows 10 installed on a macbook pro via bootcamp and had no problems for the past 2 years with outlook 2016. 

I uninstalled all office programs, re-installed again but it did not work. I then formatted by computer/windows and downloaded office365 64-bit from scratch. All applications work except outlook. I get the same 'something went wrong' issue when trying to setup my e-mail. 

Is there a solution for this one? Microsoft we need your help urgently!