"Blocked words" are not enforced while creating Groups from EAC

Brass Contributor

I have setup "Blocked words" in exchange admin through the Group creation policy. I added a word "Test" in the blocked words. I tried to create a Office 365 Group "Test group 1" with tenant admin login. The group was created successfully and the blocked words policy wes not enforced. 

When I tried to create a Office 365 Group from Outlook (web), the blocked words policy was enforced, I got a nice error message saying I cannot use the word 'Test' in the group name. Should'nt the behaviour be the same irrespective of from where the Office 365 Group is created ?

Also, the blocked words policy was not enforced when I tried to create a Distribution group through exchange admin !

5 Replies
Blocked Words Policy only works using OWA as you have discovered...we are waiting for the promised Azure AD Policy that will allow to avoid the use of blocked words not matter where you try to create a Group

Well, in the recently announced roadmap, the Azure AD Policy thingy is marked as "requires AD Premium subscription". Not a big fan :(

This documentation https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj218693%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-21472173... (though old) says "Distribution group naming policy"

I am not sure what are the other ways to create a Distribution group except through Exchange admin or Office 365 Admin center. So if the blocked keywords does not apply to the Distribution groups also, what is that documentation explaining ? It clearly says Applies to Exchange online !

Hey Vasil, Office 365 road map item "Office 365 Groups: naming policy in Azure Active Directory" which is in development does not mention about the Premium AD feature. Can you point me to the announcement that you've mentioned

https://blogs.office.com/2017/04/06/whats-new-in-office-365-groups-for-april-2017/

Whole-heartedly agree this should not be a paid management feature.  The risk for abuse is just far too high to not be included in basic management.