SOLVED

deleted user still forwards incoming mail.

Copper Contributor

Deleted a user via the online Admin Center, so they're not shown in any active user lists (or any user lists); however the address still forwards onto the formerly assigned recipient. any ideas how to stop? Thanks.

3 Replies
best response confirmed by Stephen Lightfoot (Copper Contributor)
Solution

For starters, run a message trace and check the details to see what exactly happens with the message. It can be redirected by a mail flow rule, which doesn't need any mailbox in order to function.

Hi Vasil, thanks for your help. Message trace (new feature in admin center) didn't bring up any results; however your suggestion did make me think - apply a new rule to delete any messages without notifying anyone. Not the cleanest fix, I admit; but seems to have worked and will end complaints from the former forward-recipient, which makes my life much easier. Thanks again; really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

When you remove user (and mailbox) they'll be in a "soft deleted" state for 30 days. I'm not 100% sure but I think that the soft deleted mailbox might still forward messages. Removing the mailbox completely could help in your case.

To completely remove the user (and mailbox) you need to run the following PowerShell command:

# Connect to Office 365
Connect-MsolService

# Remove the user from the recycle bin
Remove-MsolUser -UserPrincipalName <your user's UPN> -RemoveFromRecycleBin 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Stephen Lightfoot (Copper Contributor)
Solution

For starters, run a message trace and check the details to see what exactly happens with the message. It can be redirected by a mail flow rule, which doesn't need any mailbox in order to function.

View solution in original post