SOLVED
Home

Word online Templates

Highlighted
James Simmonds
New Contributor

Word online Templates

Hi All,

My internal communications team would like to add our own branded templates to Office365 so that when you click on the word online tile you are presented with our corporate templates.

Is that possible? I've had a good search and cannot see how to do it.

Thanks,

James

6 Replies

Re: Word online Templates

Sorry, but this not possible. Office Online does not provide the possibility to add custom templates to either Word Online, PowerPoint Online or Excel Online
Solution

You can get around this by uploading template documents (not dotx or dotm, but docx*) to an accessible 'brand' library and then asking users to open and then 'save as' from there. Making the library read-only will limit the potential for accidential change to the document.

*If you use 'dotx' or 'docm' the 'Edit in Browser' option is not available (at least in our tenant).

Thanks, will discuss with communications team. I think it is doable and something that can be added to our instructions as part of a launch.

Cheers!

Hey James,

If you're using SharePoint you can also add Document Templates to Content Types. May be another way around this if your content is going to end up in SharePoint anyway.

Thanks,

Tom

Did it end up working for you?

We are not huge fans of word on line - the editing is not always WYSIWYG... Our workaround has been to create a series of branded templates and save them to SharePoint. Users sync the relevant library and then point to that location as their default template location in Word. We have 20 standard documents that everyone uses and that we now only have to update once, centrally... It's an offline solution but it works well for us as our users have word locally....

Related Conversations
Word Resume Assistant no UK availability?
John Wynne in Office 365 on
9 Replies
Feature updates for Office 2016 MSI versions
Michael Perry in Word on
3 Replies
Latest Word 2016 update - lost key grammar checker
Rob O'Keefe in Word on
5 Replies
Blank doc
Laura Floeckher in Word on
5 Replies