SOLVED

What is the meaning by Using Use parent folder policy?

Copper Contributor

Dear All,

In exchange online archiving, I need to know what is the meaning of Use parent folder policy, while I am not assigning any policy for the parent folder Inbox,etc...

In this case what exactly is happen?

5 Replies
best response confirmed by Mahmoud Hanafi (Copper Contributor)
Solution

If you have not explicitly assigned a tag to a folder, the Default tag will apply. Same for any subfolders.

@Tony Redmond had a nice article detailing this, but I cannot seem to find it atm. I can recommend the "Office 365 for IT Pros" book instead, where this topic is discussed in detail :)

If it is a default folder and the retention policy assigned to the mailbox includes a folder retention tag for that folder, all items in the folder pick up that tag.

If it is not a default folder, all folders and items in the mailbox pick up the default retention tag in the policy unless a personal tag is assigned to a folder or item. 

If a personal tag is assigned to a non-default folder, all items in the folder pick up that tag.

Thank you Tony Redmond for your valuable reply.

Thank you so much Vasil Michev
Hi Tony,

On that same example you are saying: "If it is a default folder and the retention policy assigned to the mailbox includes a folder retention tag for that folder, all items in the folder pick up that tag."
What happen if the retention policy includes for example 5 tags? What tag will the folder pick up?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Mahmoud Hanafi (Copper Contributor)
Solution

If you have not explicitly assigned a tag to a folder, the Default tag will apply. Same for any subfolders.

@Tony Redmond had a nice article detailing this, but I cannot seem to find it atm. I can recommend the "Office 365 for IT Pros" book instead, where this topic is discussed in detail :)

View solution in original post