Spoofed email being given SCL -1 due to user's safe senders list

Copper Contributor

I have an issue where users are getting email where there is a spoofed email address in the header part of an email. e.g:

envelope from: <bad@bad.com> 

The email passes spf checks and skips quarantine because the recipient has goodguy@goodco.com added to their safe senders list in outlook.

Shouldn't 365 be checking the safe senders list for the bad@bad.com address not the spoofed one?!

The only thing I think I can do to block these at the moment is clear all users' safe senders lists in powershell, but I'm not sure that is a good solution.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

9 Replies

Hey @a b,

It is surprising to me that the email would be able to pass an SPF check, as you say it is. SPF should be looking for the sending server. I would guess this is being sent from somewhere like Microsoft?

1. I would report the behavior and bypass to Microsoft, especially if they are the sending server.

2. I would be interested to see more details from the actual header. I have never had issues with the email being spoofed and that address getting through because of filters. Normally the actual filtering is done on the internal headers of the email, and good about catching stuff like spoofing as a result. As you said, yes O365 should be checking for the actual sender, not a spoofed address and in my experience that is what I have had happen.

Can you perhaps share a bit more information about the header (obviously taking into account removing any personal information)? Without that it is hard to speculate what could be going on.

Adam

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the reply.

No they're not being sent from Microsoft. A header section from an example one below:

Authentication-Results: spf=pass (sender IP is 162.241.190.238)
smtp.mailfrom=calzadoroy.com; mydomain.co.uk; dkim=pass (signature was
verified) header.d=calzadoroy.com; mydomain.co.uk; dmarc=none action=none
header.from=goodguys.co.uk;

Received-SPF: Pass (protection.outlook.com: domain of calzadoroy.com
designates 162.241.190.238 as permitted sender)

Received: from [201.141.93.6] (port=33313 helo=10.12.1.108)
by cal.calzadoroy.com with esmtpsa (TLSv1.2:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:256)
(Exim 4.91)
(envelope-from <irene.alonso@calzadoroy.com>)
id 1g284j-0005If-DK
for myuser@mydomain.co.uk; Mon, 17 Sep 2018 22:37:25 -0600
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 23:37:13 -0600
From: Good Guy <goodguy@goodguys.co.uk> <irene.alonso@calzadoroy.com>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So in this example, calzadoroy.com is a domain we have never heard of and don't do business with. 

The IP address 201.141.93.6 is from Uruguay which is one of the countries listed in our spam filter to filter emails from.

goodguy@goodguys.co.uk is someone we do business with and this email address is listed in the recipient's safe senders list - so this is targeted spam. 

and Irene Alonso's name and email doesn't appear anywhere on the email the end user receives in Outlook 2016.

For the emails we receive like this where the recipient doesn't have the spoofed email address in their safe senders list the email will be correctly quarantined, however we're receiving a lot of ones where they have been added.

Thanks,

Rich

Thanks for the details, that helps to paint a more complete picture.

So it looks like the IP that is being sent to you is 162.241.190.238, which is calzadoroy.com. (which appears to be in Utah in the US 0 https://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/162.241.190.238).

calzadoroy.com received the message from 201.141.93.6 (Uruguay as you have said).

So to me, calzadoroy is likely having issues, the Uruguay ip is sending mail to them, which is then being sent on to you. I would want to see the full hops (not just one of them) to confirm this, but from what i can tell from what you have provided.

It looks as if an account is setup with the user you know, with the intention of spamming out, but the SPF pass has nothing to do with that account. I would perhaps in this case get the IP associated with the domain you know, and whitelist the IP rather than the user, that would stop this problem as it is not coming from the company you work with's mail system, just a user. Also blacklisting 162.241.190.238 if you do not buisness with them should help too.

By just having goodguy@goodguys.co.uk whitelisted and not the sending IP, if that is the sending account (which it looks like someone setup a mail server to do that) then you are not catching the spoof.

Hope this helps!

Adam

Hi,

Thanks again, yes the SPF pass is nothing to do with the spoofed account but I think it is helping these types of email get through the spam filter when they don't have an entry on the safe senders list.

I could blacklist that IP but it's just one of many we get emails from so I can't rely on that.

The main problem is that the emails get an SCL of -1 when a spoofed address is in the safe senders list of the recipient. Which I find odd as I wouldn't have thought it should even be checking for the spoofed address.

The way I see it at the moment, my options are:

-Find a way to quarantine emails with multiple email addresses in the From header. 

or

-Find a way to disable safe senders lists so these emails don't get whitelisted and get a free ride through the spam filter.

Thanks for the help Adam, i'm a bit surprised I can't find others reporting the same problem - I must have screwed something up somewhere I guess!

Cheers,

Rich

Hey Rich,

Good chance exchange just decided it didnt want to play nice too :). That seems to be its fallback plan.

This is one of those that I think a premier case would not be bad on (just a low priority) as they may be able to find something out for you, but it just may not be the quickest resolution.

Hope you have a good day!

Adam

Well we have the exact same issue and are trying to figure out if the checkbox "also trust e-mail from contacts" in the spamfilters allow sender setting is generating this behaviour. What we´ve seen so far is that if you have an e-mail adress in the safe sender list, that will bypass policys even if the mail is clearly a spoofed one (the header includes that the mail didnt pass SPF). It simply bypasses at least the default policys and looks like a perfectly normal e-mail at the recieving end. We use the hardfail setting that should stop this mail. If that is the case everyone with that check has no protection against thoose Spoofed VD-mails coming from someone in youre own organisation since many in the organisation often is in youre contacts. That check seems to be on by default at least on our clients. Has an open case with Microsoft on how to turn of that settings in the entire environment. It is not a good behavior if everyone in the organisation passes on clearly spoofed mails because of the settings in allowed sender settings. Another bad behevior is that every user in the organisation can rightclick for exampel the CEO and add him to the safesenderlist. Thats a perfectly normal behavior if the CEOs mail ends up as trash one time. After that anyone can spoof you with the CEOs Adress?!?!

I am refering to this.

Safe senders and recipients

Safe senders are people and domains you always want to receive email messages from. Safe recipients are recipients that you don't want to block, usually groups that you’re a member of. Messages received from any email address or domain in your safe senders and recipients list are never sent to your Junk Email folder.

IMPORTANT: The server that hosts your mailbox may have junk email filtering settings that block messages before they reach your mailbox.

Add a sender or a domain to the safe senders list
  1. Sign in to Outlook Web App. For help, see Getting started in Outlook Web App.

2. At the top of the page, select Settings Settings: update your profile, install software and connect it to the cloud > Mail.

3. Under Options, select Block or allow.

4. To add an entry to Safe senders and recipients, enter the email address or domain that you want to mark as safe in the Enter a sender or domain here text box, and then press Enter or select the Add icon The Create new folder button next to the text box.

• For example, to mark all email from addresses that end in contoso.com as safe, enter contoso.com in the text box.

• To mark a specific person as safe, enter that person's full email address. For example, to mark all messages from KatieJ@contoso.com as safe, enter KatieJ@contoso.com in the text box.

5. (Optional) Select the Trust email from my contacts check box to treat email from any address in your contacts folders as safe.

6. Select Save to save your changes.

Does anyone have a better solution for this?

Just had a user add the CEO to her Safe Senders, and get a Phishing email in her inbox, even with ATP flagging it.

@a b 

I confirm this too. 

An attacker used a compromised domain to send out email to one of our internal users with the "From" as her manager

eg. Susie@contoso.com received email 'From' mary@contoso.com but the email was sent from outside the organization. But since susie had Mary's name in her safe senders list, the spam filter did no checks and just allowed the email through.

This attack was even supported by the fact that the compromised domain was using a 3rd party provider for mass emails (like MailGun) and so were we. Owing to this we both had mailgun IPs in our SPF records, so in fact the SPF did pass due to this.

Microsoft support confirmed that the safe senders list supersedes over any domain or spam filtering. 

Only an SPF hard fail would've helped here according to MS Support.

As a mitigation technique, we now have a banner for all emails coming from outside the organisation and also a mailflow rule that if there are emails coming from outside that are using any of our verified domains, then send to administrator for approval. 

Clearing everyone's safe senders list would only be a temp solution. I want microsoft to give us an option for users to not be allowed to add users from internal domain into the safe senders list. 

Vikas