SOLVED

Sign into Windows 10 with Office 365 account?

Iron Contributor

Is there a way that we can configure Windows 10 so that users can sign into the PC using their Office 365 account? We have some staff using shared PCs at a temporary branch office. We don't want to go through all the trouble of adding a server, creating a domain, etc. Thanks!

21 Replies
Yeap,
You could use the W10 feature of joining a Azure AD domain and add your users' PC to the Azure AD domain in your Office 365 subscription

Excellent. Thank you both. A few follow-ups...

1. I assume this will NOT work with Windows 10 home edition?

2. Can multiple different Office 365 users log into the same PC?

3. Is there anything I need to do to configure Azure in my Office 365 account?

4. The article that Salvator linked to shows how to dō this for First Run Experience. Is there a similar how-to for a PC that was previously setup without connecting to Azure AD?

Thanks!!

1. I assume this will NOT work with Windows 10 home edition?

You need the minimum of Windows 10 Pro, for the best experience get Enterprise. You can upgrade a windows 10 to a Enterprise license just by changing the product key.

Dont know the answer to this one. i guess it is possible but i dont know if it is efficient.

3. Is there anything I need to do to configure Azure in my Office 365 account?

Default everything is setup just fine. If you want to do more like using policies etc you need the Intune subscription.

4. The article that Salvator linked to shows how to dō this for First Run Experience. Is there a similar how-to for a PC that was previously setup without connecting to Azure AD?

You can add a pc or laptop to Azure AD in the setting menu, Go to Setting -> System -> info and there you can join Azure AD.

Thanks Jerry. This is very helpful!

If anyone has feedback on #2 RE: multiple Office 365 users logging into the same PC, I would welcome your insight. Thanks!

1. Correct.
  2. Yes. At login you input the user(name), which should be one of the users in AAD.
  3. There are some settings in AAD you could want to configure. If you have an existing Office 365 subscription, you already have an Azure AD tenant.
  4. Yes. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/active-directory-azureadjoin-user-upgrade. But be sure to understand the difference between the actual AAD Join and the BYOD Join. Point 2 above works only with AAD Join.

For an overview you can start here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/active-directory-azureadjoin-overview

best response confirmed by Edward Lee (Iron Contributor)
Solution

If all that users are in the same tenant, yes they can login into the same PC. Same like local AD, you can login into any computer in the same domain. 

Yes, they can sign in however they will not have access to OneDrive/Outlook except through the web interface.  It's fine for quick access but if the user is going to be logging on regularly, it would be convenient to have this setup for them. 

@jahongir abdurahmonov wrote:

If all that users are in the same tenant, yes they can login into the same PC. Same like local AD, you can login into any computer in the same domain. 

This is not true. Different persons can log on on a Win10 machine with their Office365 account. Each user can use their onedrive.
When you have Intune you can deploy Office ProPlus with shared device so every user have their one Office ProPlus

Only the first user that login gets admin rights on that device the other users are normal accounts.

@Maurits Knoppert wrote:

This is not true. Different persons can log on on a Win10 machine with their Office365 account. Each user can use their onedrive.
When you have Intune you can deploy Office ProPlus with shared device so every user have their one Office ProPlus

Only the first user that login gets admin rights on that device the other users are normal accounts.

It may not be true for you but it is for me.  Users can logon on to any Windows 10 machine that is joined to the Azure AD with their email and password but the machine will setup a NEW account for them with all the default settings and extra (unwanted) games and addons.  Privacy settings will also set to default.  It will not be the same profile they see on their main PC.  It is not a "roaming" profile and will not include any customizations.  Also, if they want to access their OneDrive and Outlook files, they will either have to connect the OneDrive app to their account and wait for it to sync (same with Outlook) OR log on to the portal.office.com.

We are a non-profit using the free Enterprise E2 version which gives us access to some features of Azure AD but not InTune or ProPlus.  Maybe this is the difference.  Or maybe you know some other way to do this.  If so, please share.

You can synchronize your AD Domain en Azure with your Office 365 in Azure. Then you can set time for sichronization. In that way, you can reset your pwd in AD and after the synchro time, the Office Account can have the same pwd than AD account.

@Maurits Knoppert 

Jumping in on this discussion a year late, but is there a way to set other users on the computer admin rights?  Thank you!

@RHagglund 

Yes that is possible.

In Azure active directory ==> Devices ==> Device settings.

There you can add a group . The members of that group will be admin on the machine where they login with there credentials.

@RHagglund 

Yes that is possible.

There you can add a group . The members of that group will be admin on the machine where they login with there credentials.

@RHagglund 

Yes that is possible.

@Maurits Knoppert 

I have office 365 member configured as user role and I'd like that they use its office 365 credentials to login on win10 pro laptop. They do that but when they login using its office 365 credentials they turns admin on the machine.

Do you know if is there a way to keep user role profile after joined at Azure AD

Thanks a lot.

Thank you, @Maurits Knoppert.  It appears that is a "premium edition capability available through products such as Azure AD Premium or the Enterprise Mobility Suite (EMS)."  Will check on those to see if their worthwhile for my business.  Appreciate your help!

We have the non-profit version of Office 365 - I believe it's E2.  When I join a device to the Azure domain and the user then logs on with their O365 email/password, they are automatically configured as a local USER - not an Admin.  If I want to make them an Admin, I can use the command line -

net localgroup administrators /add "AzureAD\UserUpn"

@fsbotelho wrote:

@Maurits Knoppert 

I have office 365 member configured as user role and I'd like that they use its office 365 credentials to login on win10 pro laptop. They do that but when they login using its office 365 credentials they turns admin on the machine.

Do you know if is there a way to keep user role profile after joined at Azure AD

Thanks a lot.

@fsbotelho 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Edward Lee (Iron Contributor)
Solution

View solution in original post