Sending mail - Unable to get Shared Mailbox to show in "From" field (Outlook Online)

Copper Contributor

(Context: Office 365 E1 / Outlook Online)

I have a shared mailbox that I need to be able to send from. My user account is properly set up as a member of that shared mailbox, and I am able to open the mailbox separately and send from within it, so I know I have the permissions/delegation.

However I want to be able send as if I am the shared mailbox from within my own mailbox, not having to open a separate window with the shared mailbox. (i.e. Just choose the Shared Mailbox name in the "From" field when I send an email.

Here are Microsoft's instructions to do that from https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Open-and-use-a-shared-mailbox-in-Outlook-on-the-web-for-bus...

How do I send email from the shared mailbox?

To send email from the shared mailbox using Outlook Web App:

1. Click New mail above the folder list. A new message form opens in the reading pane.

2. Click More More or more options icon and then select Show from. This option shows you that the people who receive the email message will see that it comes from the shared mailbox and not from your own email account.

3. To add recipients, type the name of anyone who is in your contacts folder or organization’s address list, or type the email address in the To or cc box. The first time you enter a person’s name, Outlook Web App searches for that person’s address. In the future, the name is cached so it resolves quickly.

4. Type a subject.

5. Type the message you want to send.

6. When your message is ready to go, click send

I cannot get any options to appear in the "From" picklist other than my own email account, even though the guide shows I should be able to do so.

Does anyone know how I can get the Shared mailbox I am a member of to appear there?

Thanks!

27 Replies

@Heidar_Sigurjonsson, you are working with Outlook for Windows or with OWA? 

Outlook for Windows, but I found a way. Deleting the outlook files then starting outlook, make it build them again. Works now :)

Since the last Office update I can not get Outlook 2016 (465) to save the shared mailbox email address in the 'from' drop down list, I have to retype the sahred mailbox address each time.

I send a coupleof hundred invoices from this emai laddress each month as well as statements etc so it is a major pain in the butt.

Version 1902 (build 11328.20158)

I also no longer have the option to add the shared mailbox through the advanced setting in account setting, that optoin is greyed out, that was the first option I tried when the email address stopped showing in the drop down list.

The mailbox sends and receives ok but I have to manually type the from email address each and every time.

I hope someone has managed to come up with a fix to this and can help out.

Hi@Pamela Dillon ,

I can confirm that after upgrading to version 1902 (build 11328.20158)

there is no the shared mailbox in the drop-down list of From: button.

I can't confirm the problem with adding the shared mailbox via advanced settings in account setting. In my case it works as it should.

Just add the shared mailbox as a second Exchange account, not as an additional mailbox, and you'll see it in the drop-down list.

Regards,

Victor. 

Victor,

I had tried adding the shared mailbox as a 2nd Exchange account previously, however it does not have a password of its own so tried with no password and with the password for the main exchange account and it failed with both, how did you get it added?

@Victor Ivanidze 

That work around worked for the full day yesterday, however today, I randomly get an error message that I can't expand the folder to view the inbox etc. or else the emails I am sending stick in the outbox with the error message 'Outlook data file cannot be accessed'.

Any suggestions?

Just found this. Followed the link to the duke.edu URL and carried out the 2nd option instructions found there. To my great shock, it worked. Thanks Victor!