Sending mail - Unable to get Shared Mailbox to show in "From" field (Outlook Online)

Copper Contributor

(Context: Office 365 E1 / Outlook Online)

I have a shared mailbox that I need to be able to send from. My user account is properly set up as a member of that shared mailbox, and I am able to open the mailbox separately and send from within it, so I know I have the permissions/delegation.

However I want to be able send as if I am the shared mailbox from within my own mailbox, not having to open a separate window with the shared mailbox. (i.e. Just choose the Shared Mailbox name in the "From" field when I send an email.

Here are Microsoft's instructions to do that from https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Open-and-use-a-shared-mailbox-in-Outlook-on-the-web-for-bus...

How do I send email from the shared mailbox?

To send email from the shared mailbox using Outlook Web App:

1. Click New mail above the folder list. A new message form opens in the reading pane.

2. Click More More or more options icon and then select Show from. This option shows you that the people who receive the email message will see that it comes from the shared mailbox and not from your own email account.

3. To add recipients, type the name of anyone who is in your contacts folder or organization’s address list, or type the email address in the To or cc box. The first time you enter a person’s name, Outlook Web App searches for that person’s address. In the future, the name is cached so it resolves quickly.

4. Type a subject.

5. Type the message you want to send.

6. When your message is ready to go, click send

I cannot get any options to appear in the "From" picklist other than my own email account, even though the guide shows I should be able to do so.

Does anyone know how I can get the Shared mailbox I am a member of to appear there?

Thanks!

27 Replies
What you have to do is remove your e-mail address and then add the shared mailbox one...I have done this several times and works like a charm

Hi there Juan, I have tried every way I can think of to remove my email address from the 'From' field when composing a new message, but I can't backspace or delete key it, and when I click the 'From' button and mine is the only email address that appears to select from, there is no way to delete it from there either (often options have an 'X' next to them in a list to remove, but not here). Have I misunderstood what you mean?

Right-click on your name next to the From button, select the Remove option and enter the shared mailbox address. The From button dropdown doest NOT automatically populate addresses you have permissions to send as, entries only appear there after you have sent at least one message.

@Vasil Michev wrote:

Right-click on your name next to the From button, select the Remove option and enter the shared mailbox address. The From button dropdown doest NOT automatically populate addresses you have permissions to send as, entries only appear there after you have sent at least one message.

Hooray that works - thank you!

That should be part of Microsoft's instructions!

Thank you for posting this conversation. This was exactly the question I had and the answer I needed!

thank you Vasil Michev for guiding. 5 stars for you....

Good stuff dude!
That works perfectly.
Cheers!
With apologies to the product team, this process stinks. I just tried it, and it works great (if I choose Remove). But it is ugly. First off, my profile card pops up while hovered over my address. If I right-click on the address, the Edit/Reply box pops under the profile card. If I choose Edit, I get nothing. If I choose Remove, then I can type and select a new address. This is totally non-intuitive. There should be something like "Add address" on the From: dropdown. I shouldn't have to try to remember to right-click on a field that doesn't appear to have changeable content. I also couldn't find a Microsoft page that seemed to tell me what to do - only this one https://support.office.com/en-us/article/send-email-from-a-different-address-in-outlook-com-ccba89cb....

Thanks, it worked... but I have to say this is really faulty, UI-wize... 

Had the same issue and found same solution. However... same account doesn't appear in FROM pick list even after successfully sending from shared e-mail once; thinking it would then appear later.

Thoughts?

Agreed - process stinks:

... Show from field

right click your name

mouse away from your contact card so it goes away

click remove on you name

add the from name

And you have to do this every time. 

It's almost easier to open the entire shared mailbox in a new tab

Right click the identity circle in the top right corner

Open another maillbox

Not so stinks.

>.. Show from field

You can set it always visible.

>right click your name

>mouse away from your contact card so it goes away

>click remove on you name

>add the from name

>And you have to do this every time. 

You have to perform these annoying steps only once.

After that you just click an arrow near From: and select an address from the drop-down list.

Thank you so much I have been trying to work this out for ages!

Totally stinks, since this works in the web version of Outlook, but doesn't in the actual Outlook. It'll let you put a different address in the "From" field (once you get it to show), but it refuses to send it, despite being a member of the Shared Mailbox, and it working in the web version. I get:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:     Testing from 2

Sent:  12/6/2018 12:03 PM

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

'Jeff Barr' on 12/6/2018 12:03 PM

This message could not be sent. You do not have the permission to send the message on behalf of the specified user.

Jeff,

as a rule a desktop Outlook works with the shared mailboxes much better than OWA.

Make sure that you have or "send as" or "send on behalf of" shared mailbox right but not both ones. Also try to create a new Outlook profile, attach a shared mailbox and re-test.

Regards,

Victor Ivanidze

Victor, thanks for the help. I figured out what the problem was, I was trying to send from the inbox of the Shared Mailbox and changing the "From" address, it worked fine when I sent from my own inbox and changed the "From" address. Sort of confusing, since you read messages to the Shared Mailbox in ITS inbox, but you can't send them from there (yet you CAN send replies from it).  

Jeff, looks like something wrong on you site.

I've just navigated to the Inbox of the shared mailbox and click New. The new item had my own address as From: one. After that I've changed it (by selecting from the list) to the address of the shared mailbox  and click Send. A message was sent successfully.

What if I can't get the 'From' button to even appear ? I have an employee with 2 accounts + 1 shared e-mail and she can only send from her original e-mail and the 'from' field doesn't even appear.
'Change senders account' only shows 1 e-mail.