Sending email as alias in office365?

Copper Contributor

I used to have my domain email hosted in office 365. The reason i switched was because of a lack of a feature i really needed. You had the ability to create multiple aliases in office 365 so you could receive multiple emails for your domain in your inbox. For example say my domain was example.org. I could recieve emails from

bob@example.org <--primary email address

orders@example.org

newsletters@example.org.

the only big thing missing was that you could not "send" from any email other than the primary email. so in the example above i could not send email as orders@example.org or newsletters@example.org. I could only send email as bob@example.org. Is this still true or can you send email from aliases? I don't want it to look like it came from the primary email "orders@example.org in care of bob@example.org".  The email i send with an alias should really look like it came from the alias. This is the only reason i'm on GApps and i'm hope to swtich back. Is this feature still missing?

thanks

189 Replies
This does 100% work, see these screen shots:
http://personal.klio.co.uk/create-selected.png
As you can see, the top option, mike@mi******.me.uk, is the primary address, the others are typed into Outlook at set as aliases in O365
http://personal.klio.co.uk/outcome.png
When I look at the headers in my outlook, the address typed is shown.

Do you have another completely different email address? Try to send an email from an EOL alias, using your technique, to that email address and you will see that the sender of the email is, in any case, the primary address and not the alias.

As long as the domain being used is served from the same server you're sending from a different domain is no different to an alias of the same domain.

I have not checked to see if an address served from a different server would work, I would expect it not to as doing so would probably fail SPF check and thus lead to a bad experience.

What does "f.e." mean?

Hey Salvatore, you can access shared email in mobile apps. the configuration of this is as follows:

1. You can add your account as IMAP.
  2. SIn the Incoming Mail Server section, enter the following values:
    • Host Name: outlook.office365.com
    • User Name: Your personal email address, followed by a forward slash, followed by the name of the shared mailbox. For example, name@davidson.edu/shared
    • Password: Your Davidson email password.
  3. Scroll down. In the Outgoing Mail Server section, enter the following values:
    • Host Name: smtp.office365.com
    • User Name: Your full Davidson email address.
    • Password: Your Davidson email password.

This worked for me in an office 365 shared mailbox on an android device.

Cheers!

Has anyone else actually been able to get this to work?  

In Outlook Web, I can change the from address to one of my aliases.  I get no error message, the email sends, but it shows up as from my primary smtp address.

In Outlook 2016 on Windows, I choose "another email address..." in the from field and choose the alias.  Again, no error, but the email arrives from my primary smtp address.  In outlook for Windows, though, the sent items folder shows this string: 

Nick Handel </o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=9f3b760eb3874d7380b86e769046ac8b-nick> <nick@xxxdomain.co.uk>

I can send as group email addresses in both Web Outlook and Windows Outlook with no problems.

It's extremely annoying - I agree with the OP that using shared mailboxes etc. is a kluge.  I really see no reason not to make it easy for people to use multiple domains to send and receive email - it's hardly as if this is a backdoor to having multiple users sharing a licence - you get one mailbox!  In fact, the facilities with shared mailboxes make it easier to do that in some respects if you're willing to have multiple users sharing a login.  

Any help or advice gratefully received.

f.e. means For Example.

Cheers

Hi @Nick Handel.

This topic has been discussed infinitely in this community and in many other forums.

Sending as an alias in Exchange has never been possible and indeed it is still not possible.

There are workarounds but, as you noted, they are viable, but not satisfactory.

This is the present situation, unfortunately, and that's all.

This is manifestly untrue. My previous post details steps for this to be achieved in a trivial way using Outlook 2016 and Office 365, one of the most common deployment combos.

@Tony Redmond

Hi Tony, can you please shed some light?

Is it possible in Exchange to send as an alias?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @James O'Sullivan.  Edited because I've just looked at the images you posted.

Have you tried sending from an alias with a different domain (but one that is registered in O365)?  I note that your aliases are all in the same domain (unless differences are redacted)?

I've tried sending from aliases both in the same and different domains as my primary smtp address and neither works.

If it is definitely working for you, there must be some configuration (permissions, perhaps) or other nuance of how domains are set up (or maybe hosted or not hosted in O365) that is different.

Thanks

Nick

@James O'Sullivan wrote:

This is manifestly untrue. My previous post details steps for this to be achieved in a trivial way using Outlook 2016 and Office 365, one of the most common deployment combos.

Dear James,

please do me a favor and send a test message with subject "James O'Sullivan test"  from Family@mi******.me.uk to viciva(at)yahoo.com .

Thank you,

Victor Ivanidze

My experience in trying James' solution is identical to Nick's.

I'm able to enter the alias as directed and send the e-mail, but on the receiving end, it does not appear to actually come from that address. I see the same </o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group... string of characters in the From address in my Sent Items.

I have done some testing with regards this and while it works internally, it doesn't work for external emails, which is a shame.

I've seen a few User Voice requests for Outlook.com for this issue: https://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/284136-outlook-com?query=send%20as%20alias

Added a comment to this one: https://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/284136-outlook-com/suggestions/16894204-alias-improvements#comm...

Anyone know if there's another post that may be more popular? 

Strange.  I decided to go with the DG option to allow me to send mail from the alias in an alternate domain.  Let's call them nick@primarydomain.com and nick@aliasdomain.com for these purposes.

This meant removing the nick@aliasdomain.com address from the list of addresses associated with my own mailbox, then creating the DG as you describe, assigning permissions etc.

In the DG, I set the display name and alias values to the same values as my own account, merely because I want my name to show the same way.

It didn't work!!!  Email shows as from nick@aliasdomain.com in sent folders on all my mail clients (which it didn't when the alias was attached to my mailbox directly).  But it arrived at the recipient (externally) as addressed from nick@primarydomain.com.  I also tried sending a mail from nick@aliasdomain.com to nick@primarydomain.com and it shows as from nick@primarydomain.com internally as well.

As a troubleshooting step, I set up a new DG for someoneelse@aliasdomain.com and tried sending from that address.  It worked no problem from Outlook Web, immediately.  Email arrived from someoneelse@aliascomain.com.

I tried changing the display name and alias on the original DG.  Didn't make any difference.

So is it a a matter of time?  That Exchange needs to propagate the change for a given recipient that was previously an alias directly against my mailbox and is now a DG?

Or is something is stuck in perpetuity because the address was previously an alias for my mailbox?

Any thoughts gratefully received!!!

It was a matter of time.  And not all that long (30 minutes maybe)...

wrote:

It was a matter of time.  And not all that long (30 minutes maybe)...

So this is confirmed? Setting up the alias as a Distribution Group works to send mail from such alias on OWA?

Thanks.

Yes