Profile Photo - Question Mark icon

Silver Contributor

All of a sudden, I have a small green Question Mark "?" over the profile photo that displays in the top right corner of the Office Suite Bar. Does anyone know what this signifies?

Question Mark IconQuestion Mark Icon

47 Replies

I found what People app shows Skype status correctly, no one more

No solution here; I'm only adding to the experience matrix:

We have SharePoint Online, Skype for Business (O365) and an unused on-premises SharePoint 2016 Server farm, which is set up for eventual hybrid search of on-premises databases once Microsoft enables 2016 hybrid features for our licensing.

The Office 2016 Skype app properly displays my presence, i.e. according to calendar availability. Visiting SharePoint Online pages shows a circle with question mark, regardless of browser: IE 11, Edge, mobile Safari. Visiting these Office 365 pages -- mail and calendar -- via outlook.office365.com/owa shows a grey circle; vising the people Office 365 app displays a green circle with checkmark.

Last: Visiting SharePoint Online libraries that include presence indicators correctly displays presence color indicators.

My Admin account for Office365, which does not have Skype, has the ? mark showing on the picture.

My Regular account, which does have Skype, shows the same ? mark even when logged into Skype.

Same here. Maybe it is because we have a separate SfB provider - but presence information in all other places is OK.

We too have the green question mark.  Annoying because it used to work.

We're seeing the same issue. Skype is working fine. Person fields are working fine. But the header always has the question mark.

It might still be relevant for someone, so here's an update:

I spoke with MS support because we're still seeing the place holder icon in the top right of the O365 nav bar. Apparently, the documented reason is that this happens to those tenants that do not use Exchange Online but Exchange on premise like we do. EXO is the distributor of those profile pictures across multiple O365 applications. The reason a profile photo can still appear in SPO and Delve is because SPO has a fallback store where you can upload the pictures and override the placeholder icon that would otherwise appear in SPO / Delve as well.

There's no workaround as far as the MS support technician knows and no change in logic planned.

Hope this helps.