Profile Photo - Question Mark icon

Silver Contributor

All of a sudden, I have a small green Question Mark "?" over the profile photo that displays in the top right corner of the Office Suite Bar. Does anyone know what this signifies?

Question Mark IconQuestion Mark Icon

47 Replies

This showed up for me after I changed my password. It seems to have something to do with my having two clients (desktop, Android) and not being signed in on both.

Nope, that wasn't it. I logged back in on the Android client but the question mark persists.

This issue just started appearing in our environment this morning so if anyone has any idea what this is and how to address would love to be included.

Same problem on our tenant, although I only see is using Windows 10 (office 216) not on my Windows 7 (office 2010) client?

Same for us, showing a question mark in SharePoint Online, but green in OWA. Started yesterday.

Opened simultaneously the same SPO home page and have

Edge:

Edge.JPG

Opera Neon:

Neon.JPG

Please notice that in Edge you have the question mark, while in Opera Neon you have the grey vertical bar.

IMHO in both cases the meaning is the same: you are in a service (i.e. SPO) which is not able to determine your Skype presence.

And for Exchange related apps both browsers shows exactly the same - photo in circle and small grey circle like Skype status

This should mean you are not present in Skype for Business.

Try to login and you should see a small green circle instead.

Yes, exactly, Skype status is not determined in all cases, but the behavious how to show that depends not only on app, but on browser as well

To summarize:

• in SPO related web UIs, the Skype status cannot be determined and therefore is shown as a question mark or a grey bar (depending on the browser)
  • in EXO related web UIs, the Skype status can be determined and therefore is shown accordingly

Then why does it show a question mark over my profile photo, but show my green Skype status next to my name everywhere else (for example, in the created by column of a document library)? This is clearly bugged, and they need to fix it so I can get my users off my back. :)

The second doesn't work with me - i'm always on in Skype for Business (desktop and 2 mobiles), but OWA shows grey circle.

Desktop client:

SkypeClient.JPG

In my case, Skype for Business is showing me as Available, SPO shows the ? and Outlook Web services all show the empty circle,

Dean, i have exactly the same

In my case, this is OWA (in Edge):

2017-01-25 16_44_11-Program Manager.jpg

and this is ODFB (in Edge):

2017-01-25 16_45_12-Program Manager.jpg

i.e. exactly as expected.

BTW, when in OWA it shows a grey circle, can you please click on the photo and open the menu? Which is the Skype status?

We started seeing this green question mark yesterday. Our experience at our tenant is similar to everything stated already in this conversation. Any answers from Microsoft yet?

It's also undefined (empty circle). I may change it on any status from the menu, but after the refresh it goes back - undefined in both places

Hi Sergei, sorry to hear this: in my case, as I already said, everything is working properly.

Anyway, for the sake of this discussion, I would stress that while the empty (i.e. grey inside) circle in OWA (and other EXO related web UIs) is certainly a bug (if the actual Skype presence is green), instead the question mark in SPO related web UIs is, at the moment, "normal".

Just my 2 cents...

I can also confirm that we`ve had this question mark in SP Online for the last two days although Skype shows the correct status. It seems there`s not too many people talking about this at the moment. Has anybody learned something new?