Pooled Storage

Steel Contributor

quick question concerning Site collection storage limits

( https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Manage-site-collection-storage-limits-77389c2c-8e7e-4b16-ab... )

-----

Use the pooled storage model

The pooled storage model is new to SharePoint Online. You can take advantage of this by setting the storage management option to "auto." When you do, SharePoint Online disregards any existing limits you previously set on your site collections and reset them all to 1 TB. New Office 365 customers will get pooled storage by default.

--------

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but this means (if i set it to auto)  that even if i have just e.g. 1 TB tenant storage available, every single site collection in SPO gets per default a quota of 1TB, right ? (this setting has nothing to do with allocated storage)

So in this case i would never get a quota alert, because it will never reach the 1TB quota if i use more than 1 site

true ?

So what sense does this pooled storage model has then ?

4 Replies
:) you are basically correct...the sense of pooled storage is that you don't need to worry about getting out of space in your site collections if you are using it

I have a question about pooled storage. If I have 10 users in one tenant in Office 365 with E3 license meaning every user is getting 1 TB of storage can I assign 5 TB of storage to one user account and share rest of 5 TB with all the 9 users??

No you can't. Pooled storage is only for SharePoint, not OneDrive.

Thank you!