New sign-in experience for Office 365, what's it about?

Brass Contributor

Today users in our tenant began getting prompted to try a new sign-in experience for Office 365. It looks a little different, but I'm unable to find documentation about what exactly has changed, and why?

I just want to be able to answer the inevitible questions that come up. Some of our users have already checked to see if they were getting phished. 

o365-new-signin1b.png

111 Replies
I have checked this in two First Release tenants and I'm not seeing this notification...are you sure it's not coming from a plugin you have installed in your PC?

Perhaps this one? https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2017/04/07/improving-the-branding-logic-of-az...

Although they reverted the behavior shortly after the announcement. Maybe this is the next iteration...

Thank you both for the responses. We are an EDU tenant if that makes a difference. If anything we tend to get some features later than others, even set to first-release. It might just be that we are finally catching up to a change that hit other tenants months ago.

One change this week is that our Azure/o365 admin applied new licenses to everyone. I wonder if that triggered something? Even before that we saw some pretty significant changes in some screens, especially the window that appears after you click to share a file or folder with someone. 

I don't think it is anything local to my computer, because it is affecting multiple users. So far those of us who have noticed are set up for Multifactor Autentication. I will check with some of our users who are not yet enabled for MFA.

Sean

Yet another unannouced change! Thanks!

I'm looking in my Tenant's Message center and I don't see anything. Fortunately we use a non-Microsoft single sign on service and most of my users won't see this change.

Well, let's see if @Tom Batcheler can shed some light on this?

I checked our message center again to see if I missed something. I'm not finding it, but I did confirm that it is visible to multiple license types in our tenant, and it is not tied to being enabled for MFA. Appears to be a tenant-wide change.

The good news is that the new sign-in puts our branding/service desk contact info in a more visible location. Other than that the differences are subtle enough that I doubt most people will notice any change. However they are being told the experience is "new" so we are likely to get a few questions from folks about what exactly is new?

Sean

I have also noted this change and have had no announcment in the message center. 

Also documentation available and customisable areas available with branding.

This change has arrived on our tenant too.

Very frustrating to have no forewarning as we have told our users to be suspicious of phishing attacks, then suddenly the login experience looks completely different.

I really wish Microsoft would think about the cost to their customers when they roll out changes like this without any warning.

we are seeing this too.  Enterprise E3 license tenant.  No mention of it in message center.  Has anyone yet found any communication from MS about this (particularly if/when what is currently available to "try" will become the new normal)?

@Richard Bourke wrote:

This change has arrived on our tenant too.

Very frustrating to have no forewarning as we have told our users to be suspicious of phishing attacks, then suddenly the login experience looks completely different.

That's my concern. We have had some recent phishing campaigns that link to some pretty accurate looking fake login pages that feature our branding and layout. There is always a giveaway, so we try to train our users to recognize our real CAS and Azure SSO pages. That's why I want to communicate with them to say, "this change is legit, and here is why you are seeing it..."

It has arrived on my tenants as well. No notification in MC, also it's not on the roadmap.

I got the new experience now as well. It seems related to the changes they are making around MicrosoftIDs and the new MSAL auth...

@Daniel Martins can you get someone on AAD side to comment here, please?

The login experience doesn't look completely different "suddenly". The user is told that a new login experience is availabe and is given the posibility to try it.

new_login.png

I see the same offer to try. Cannot find any other information about it. This will confuse our users too but is better than it being forced on them.

Same here.

We started seeing this today.

We have only 3-5 users set to first-release.

It is suddenly, as no advance notice was given to either users or admins. And it kinda contradicts what Alex said after the unfortunate branding incident: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2017/04/25/having-a-growth-mindset-learning-f...

To quote:

Additionally, we learned that we took many you by surprise and did not give you enough time to alert and train your employees about the change.

We’re going to revisit the overall here plan and take steps to better socialize and communicate future end-user facing UX changes.

What are the news in the new login system? There are only design differences?

Two weeks ago I saw a message in the portal announcing some changes for those who have Azure AD Premium login policies. This message has disappeared afterwards.

Looks good...

We have a custom branding on the (I will call it) classic login page. Is there a way to have a different background image for modern login page? 

Next question

On our ADFS servers we have deployed a classic login experience. How can we upgrade to the new login experience?

Best regards