New infographic: Periodic Table of Office 365

Deleted
Not applicable

I consider myself a SharePoint geek, but I play more and more in the larger Office 365 (O365) sphere these days. In doing so, I’ve noticed that O365 as a concept is difficult to explain… both to IT folks and the everyday workers who are expected to use it.

So I put together a new infographic that (hopefully) provides a quick intro to O365, its apps, and how they're all related. Good for both the IT crowd and lines of business. Check out my Periodic Table of Office 365 below.

Update (Dec 2017): The original infographic has been upgraded to being a fully dynamic, web-based tool complete with articles on many of the apps, more translations (7 languages as of today!), and more. It's embeddable too, which is what you see below. Embed it in your intranet or website today!

[full-size version]

37 Replies

Nicely done!  I love these different ways of explaining Office 365, I am sure end-users respond well to this.  Anything that helps demystify the 'elements' of Office 365 and the modern toolset, is time well spent in my book.

Awesome! Thank you for sharing.

Just a suggestion: IMO, Sway should be connected to PowerPoint.

I like this. Clean but comprehensive.

I'd work in O365 Groups.
Really nice Matt!
That's my next step. But O365 Groups isn't an "app", no matter how much I pester Microsoft to make it so. So it's kind of an outsider to this representation. :(
I tried to at first, but couldn't get an alignment that worked. Then I reconsidered: Sway does presentations, but it also does newsletters (like Word) and web pages (like Publisher), so it's not really just a PowerPoint sibling, which makes placement that much more complicated. So I gave it its own spot for being unruly.

Thank you for sharing, this is a nice infograph.

@Deleted has found an engaging way to present The Waffle (or La Gaufre), but the analogy could even be taken a little further! With a vague recollection of high school chemistry, here goes:

Sway: Helium (He). Refuses to interact with anything else, makes your voice sound funny.
Flow: Phosphorus (P). Spontaneously combusts, never quite know when it's going to start working. Handle with extreme care.
SharePoint: Sodium (Na). Shiny and new, until you take it our of the jar. Then quickly goes dull grey.
PowerPoint: Arsenic (As). The phrase "death by PowerPoint" is already in common use. Toxic to any large audience.
OneNote: Krypton (Kr). Superman, need I say more?
Mail: Potassium (K). Handle with care. As a salt it seems innocuous enough, but in its pure form it actually explodes in water.
Calendar: Barium (Ba). Used to tell whether you're "regular", in a gastrointestinal kinda way.
Teams: Tantalum (Ta). Tantalisingly similar to an unnamed competitor product.
Yammer: Tungsten (W). Lightbulb moments. Durable and hard-wearing compounds.
Visio: Iridium (Ir). Highest information density, must be combined as an alloy with Word or PowerPoint.

This is halarious.  I love it!

@Benjamin Elias, Great analogy to Office 365.  

@Benjamin Elias wrote:

@Deleted has found an engaging way to present The Waffle (or La Gaufre), but the analogy could even be taken a little further! With a vague recollection of high school chemistry, here goes:

Sway: Helium (He). Refuses to interact with anything else, makes your voice sound funny.
Flow: Phosphorus (P). Spontaneously combusts, never quite know when it's going to start working. Handle with extreme care.
SharePoint: Sodium (Na). Shiny and new, until you take it our of the jar. Then quickly goes dull grey.
PowerPoint: Arsenic (As). The phrase "death by PowerPoint" is already in common use. Toxic to any large audience.
OneNote: Krypton (Kr). Superman, need I say more?
Mail: Potassium (K). Handle with care. As a salt it seems innocuous enough, but in its pure form it actually explodes in water.
Calendar: Barium (Ba). Used to tell whether you're "regular", in a gastrointestinal kinda way.
Teams: Tantalum (Ta). Tantalisingly similar to an unnamed competitor product.
Yammer: Tungsten (W). Lightbulb moments. Durable and hard-wearing compounds.
Visio: Iridium (Ir). Highest information density, must be combined as an alloy with Word or PowerPoint.

Great infographic !

Should add Microsoft form available for education but it seems it is arriving on business tenants too as I saw it as E3 service on our tenant today

Note: This infographic has been updated to include Microsoft Forms. The link is still the same (http://icsh.pt/O365Table). The image above should no longer be used.

Second note: This infographic has been transformed into a dynamic web page. Continue using the link in the above paragraph for access.

I think you need to use the full URL (http://icsh.pt/O365Table) for a link here on the Tech Community site!
Sway is now connected to PowerPoint.

Thanks for letting me know. It actually was correct at the URL level. It was only the display text that lacked the protocol. So I made them equivalent. I find bugs in this platform every time I come back. :(

Great work, Matt. Could you also make available the original (Visio I assume)? I would like to adapt it somewhat to fit our own architecture and vocabulary. I can't seem to find the proper files for the icons (the 2017 CnE visio template does not have them...).

Of course you will get full credits for the original.

Thanks!

It's actually done in Illustrator due to the complexity and graphic-heavy nature. I've gotten so may requests like this that I just can't send the original out. Too overwhelming and not enough time to deal with them all. Sorry. :(

No problem. But can you then explain how I could get the (white-filled) icons for all of the services? Did you screen scrape them or can we get to the originals?

Paul