SOLVED

Is it possible to un-check the "allow editing" in OneDrive by default?

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I want to know if it is possible to un-check the allow editing in the share menu of onedrive? I would like it to be unchecked by default.

14 Replies

i think it is possible but you will need to use Powershell to accomplish that.

If you choose "View" as default in the "Advanced settings for shareable links" in the OneDrive Admin Center, "Allow "editing" will be unchecked in "People in ..." and in "Specific people" as a (maybe unwanted) side effect. Is this what you're looking for?

BTW, another (also unwanted?) side effect is that in "Anyone" will not be possible at all to check "Allow editing", hence it looks like that the setting in the OneDrive Admin Center is not a default, but is rather mandatory...

Is all this really as it should be, @Stephen Rice ?

I did the same in the admin center and got the same result. A lot of people in my organization share to people outside and forget to un-check the allow editing. I was wondering if I can un-check it by default but still keep it available for people to check.

best response confirmed by Michael Mahoney (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi all,

In OD Admin, we have a single control which is supposed to disable edit links for "anyone" links only. If that is also your default link type, then it may have the impact you're describing (not checking the box for other kinds of links as well). 

To get the behavior you want, you'll need to go to SharePoint admin where we have a "default link permission" setting which does exactly what you're describing (default to view links but users can still select edit).

Hope that helps!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

Hi Stephen,

That did it! Thank you so much! I would've never thought to look in SharePoint Admin.

Thank you again!

Mike

When make the default behavior on a share "View" instead of "Edit", the behavior is changed when sharing from the web browser and Windows 10 file explorer; however, Allow Edit is still on by default from the OneDrive iOS client application.  Is this expected? Does anyone know how/if this can be also set on connected iOS OneDrive so it respects the same setting that the other items do.

Hey @Nicholas Balestrino,

This is expected for the moment, yes. That being said, there are some awesome updates coming to the OneDrive iOS & Android apps to improve this scenario very soon. Make sure you've got the latest version of the app & stay tuned to the OneDrive Tech Community blogs for more details ;)

Stephen Rice

I have a DropBox account and want to switch to OneDrive right away (being able to bundle the full Office suite with 1tb storage for $20 LESS than dropbox is amazing), but I primarily send links to files using my iOS device, and I know that I will forget to tap "View Only" before sending links sometimes. I am not a Business customer as well. Is there any workaround for this as of August 27th 2018? Like I say if I can change the default behaviour of copied links (on PC, Mac, and iOS) to View Only I will purchase OneDrive right away. 

Thanks, 

Michael

Hi @Michael Brooker,

Unfortunately we do not have this capability in OneDrive Consumer just yet. I'd definitely recommend submitting this feature request to onedrive.uservoice.com as it helps the team prioritize what features we tackle next. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Thank you, @Salvatore Biscari! I wound up going to this link and changing these settings based on your recommendation. Including screenshot to help others.

https://admin.onedrive.com/?v=SharingSettings

OneDrive_NoEdit.png

This only works (assuming it works) if you are the Site Admin.

How can regular users (like me) change my defaults so any link shared is by default NON EDITABLE ?

I can't believe how insecure this default is:

* When we want to share files internally in our organization, we use internal shared folders, NOT OneDrive for Business.

* OneDrive for Business is used to send files OUTSIDE our organization mostly. And if you aren't paying a lot of attention (and understand what you're doing) you're sending a 3rd party a link to edit YOUR file.

Hi @Josep Guallar-Esteve,

Today, these settings are only available to organization admins. Making additional defaults available to individual users is certainly something we've discussed before and I'd highly recommend suggesting it at onedrive.uservoice.com to help us prioritize this feature amongst other work. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Michael Mahoney (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi all,

In OD Admin, we have a single control which is supposed to disable edit links for "anyone" links only. If that is also your default link type, then it may have the impact you're describing (not checking the box for other kinds of links as well). 

To get the behavior you want, you'll need to go to SharePoint admin where we have a "default link permission" setting which does exactly what you're describing (default to view links but users can still select edit).

Hope that helps!

Stephen Rice

View solution in original post