SOLVED
Home

Is it possible to un-check the "allow editing" in OneDrive by default?

Highlighted
Michael Mahoney
New Contributor

Is it possible to un-check the "allow editing" in OneDrive by default?

Hello,

I want to know if it is possible to un-check the allow editing in the share menu of onedrive? I would like it to be unchecked by default.

9 Replies

Re: Is it possible to un-check the "allow editing" in OneDrive by default?

i think it is possible but you will need to use Powershell to accomplish that.

If you choose "View" as default in the "Advanced settings for shareable links" in the OneDrive Admin Center, "Allow "editing" will be unchecked in "People in ..." and in "Specific people" as a (maybe unwanted) side effect. Is this what you're looking for?

BTW, another (also unwanted?) side effect is that in "Anyone" will not be possible at all to check "Allow editing", hence it looks like that the setting in the OneDrive Admin Center is not a default, but is rather mandatory...

Is all this really as it should be, @Stephen Rice ?

What would I use?

I did the same in the admin center and got the same result. A lot of people in my organization share to people outside and forget to un-check the allow editing. I was wondering if I can un-check it by default but still keep it available for people to check.

Solution

Hi all,

In OD Admin, we have a single control which is supposed to disable edit links for "anyone" links only. If that is also your default link type, then it may have the impact you're describing (not checking the box for other kinds of links as well). 

To get the behavior you want, you'll need to go to SharePoint admin where we have a "default link permission" setting which does exactly what you're describing (default to view links but users can still select edit).

Hope that helps!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

Hi Stephen,

That did it! Thank you so much! I would've never thought to look in SharePoint Admin.

Thank you again!

Mike

Great tip, @Stephen Rice !

When make the default behavior on a share "View" instead of "Edit", the behavior is changed when sharing from the web browser and Windows 10 file explorer; however, Allow Edit is still on by default from the OneDrive iOS client application.  Is this expected? Does anyone know how/if this can be also set on connected iOS OneDrive so it respects the same setting that the other items do.

Hey @Nicholas Balestrino,

This is expected for the moment, yes. That being said, there are some awesome updates coming to the OneDrive iOS & Android apps to improve this scenario very soon. Make sure you've got the latest version of the app & stay tuned to the OneDrive Tech Community blogs for more details ;)

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

Related Conversations