Hybrid migration questions

Brass Contributor

Hi all,

I'm preparing an hybrid migration for a customer and I have some questions about it. The final goal is to have e-emails on the cloud and the Directory Synchronization enabled between local AD and Office 365.

Actual situation:

1) The local configuration is an Exchange 2010 SP3 installed on Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard

2) The MX record for the domain I want to migrate, are not configured to the Exchange server directly. The customer have an mail hosting on the cloud and mail are copied to the local Exchange server

3) There is around 50 mailboxes to migrate

4) At the moment, Directory Synchronization in enabled, I have all users in the cloud with a license Office 365 Enterprise E3 linked.

My questions :

1) With my requirements and actual situation, is hybrid migration the way to go ? Can I use other migration like cutover or IMAP ?

2 ) At the end, I want to remove the local SBS 2011 + Exchange 2010 server, but with hybrid migration, as I know for the moment, it's not supported by Microsoft. So I heard, I can have a free license for another Exchange to manage mailbox and attributes, is it true ? And how do I remove the old exchange and install the new one ? What are the requirement for this server (RAM, CPU, disk) ?

Thank you for your answers and if you have any suggestions I appreciate too.

Cheers.

8 Replies

Hi Daryl,

Thank you for your answer, but before starting to move mailbox to the cloud, I want to be sure that I can accomplish exactly what I want to do. So if someone can confirm that, I'll appreciate.

Thanks

Try This:
login into: https://portal.office.com
Goto> Office Admin center - Home
(Click) Setup
(Click) Data migration
select your data service

Comment: I hope this will help.

*Every* configuration that involved synchronizing users from the local AD *requires* you to have at least one Exchange box On-Prem for management purposes, this is not specific to Hybrid. That said, Hybrid is the preferred method in most cases, as it's transparent to the end user, and fairly easy to configure now that we have options such as minimal Hybrid: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2016/06/24/hcw-improvement-the-minimal-hybrid-configura...

Hello Vasil,

Thank you for you clear answer.

As I was thinking, I'll need to have an Exchange en premise. But the actual server Exchange 2010 SP3 on SBS 2011 is really end of life, and I need to remove this one. So can I install a new Exchange 2016 only for management and how do it?

Where can I have the hybrid license ?

As this Exchange is only for management, do you think it's ok to install it on a domain controller ?

Thank you

As you will not be using any features apart from the management tools, leave the SBS running IMO.

I really want to remove this SBS Server.

I mean, this server crash once per week and consume a lot a disk space on our infrastructure. And the server is 8 years old, I think it's time to go for him...

Does exists a documentation for replace this old server by a new Exchange on permise ?

Thank you for your answer

Hi Julien,

Please follow the Exchange Server Deployment Assistant here https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/dn756393.aspx

There you will have the procedures and the steps, but if you do not have experience with migrations, please contact a partner with experience to do the migration.