How to transition from OneNote on a shared drive to OneNote 365?

Steel Contributor

Hi,

We've been using OneNote for ages.  We have a shared drive that our OneNote files are on so everyone from our team can open up OneNote and see/modify the information.

We are now transitioning to Office 365 and Microsoft Teams and I'm not sure of the best way to do that.  I can't copy/paste all the information because we have dozens upon dozens of tabs and each has multiple pages within.

We do use OneDrive Files-on-demand to sync Teams files down via Sharepoint but that won't work right for Onenote since each person would be modifying their own local copy.  Is there some way to upload local OneNote files into Teams so that everyone can use OneNote together like we do now?  Just not sure on the best approach.

Thanks!

8 Replies
I had a large notebook I moved by moving sections manually across. You can do it at the root level and it’ll copy everything under it across.

And can that be viewed in Teams?  The tutorials I saw made it look like OneNote online sets up a tab for each Team Channel and then pages within that but I need 40-50 tabs and multiple pages inside each.  I'll have to look at it tomorrow and see what I can find.

That’s old documentation. You can now have seperate notebooks for every tab. Multiples per channel if you want. They all get saved in a Notebook folder teams generates. The name I can’t recall atm. But you can create a new one each tab or you can link to an existing OneNote. Even one from another team should you have access.

I created a new tab for OneNote but didn't see any way to import/upload an entire OneNote notebook from a local location.  It only gave me options of using an existing one from within Teams or creating something new.  Maybe I just missed a step somewhere.  Happen to have any other information I can use to get this figured out?

Not sure I'm understanding the problem, but this is similar to how I moved notebooks from OneDrive Consumer to OneDrive for Business.

In the local copy of the notebook, put all of the sections into one or more Section Groups.  Then, create an empty notebook on Office 365 and open both notebooks in OneNote on the desktop.  You can use <CTRL>+M to open a second instance on the desktop for opening the second notebook.

Then, you can drag Section Groups from one notebook to the other.

I'm not moving using OneDrive.  I'm trying to move a local OneNote that lives on a network drive and is used by multiple people, into Teams so those same people can access it inside of Teams and/or OneNote online.

I'll try creating a OneNote in Teams and then see if your steps are still applicable and play around a bit.

OK.  I think this is working.

I created a OneNote in Teams and then chose to open it in my local OneNote.  I also opened my normal OneNote.  I was able to drag the tabs/sections from one to the other and it seems to work.  It's taking a bit to sync which is understandable.

So I think my last question is, where are the actual .one files stored when I create a OneNote in Teams/O365.  When I hover over the Notebook name, it shows them as Company / Sites / IT / Shared Documents.  Can I actually view those files somehow just to show people that they are there and are safe?

A folder called "Notebooks" in your default Documents library on the Teams SharePoint site.