SOLVED

Give user license partialy

Steel Contributor

Will like to know if there is any side effect of giving a O365 E3 licence to users and deactivate all sub feature licence (flow, PowerApp, Sharepoint, Skype, planner) and just keep Teams.

During my test user still have access to SharePoint (Teams related site).... is there any side effect or something I should be worried about?

2 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

I'd say have a look at the Practical Guidance for Microsoft Teams document (here is my copy)  but I didn't see that exact scenario listed but I did see this mentioned:

"To get the best experience on Microsoft Teams, your organization needs to have deployed Exchange Online and SharePoint Online."

and from the admin FAQ 

"For the full Microsoft Teams experience, every user should be enabled for Exchange Online, SharePoint Online, and Office 365 Group creation. Users' Exchange mailboxes can be hosted online or on-premises. Users hosted on Exchange Online can use all the features of Microsoft Teams. They can create and join teams and channels, create and view meetings, modify user profile pictures, add and configure connectors, tabs, and bots, and they can chat and call."

as well as

"If users aren't assigned and enabled with SharePoint Online licenses, they don't have OneDrive for Business storage in Office 365. File sharing will continue to work in Channels, but users are unable to share files in Chats without OneDrive for Business storage in Office 365."

Finally:

"In Microsoft Teams, security and compliance features like eDiscovery, Content Search, archiving, and legal hold work best in Exchange Online and SharePoint Online environments. For channel conversations, messages are journaled to the group mailbox in Exchange Online, where they're available for eDiscovery. If SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business (using work or school account) are enabled across the organization and for users, these compliance features are available for all files within Teams as well."

I'd say keep the SharePoint licence as well as Exchange ones ideally based on the above points.

License enforcement for SPO is a shady area, but if you are assigning an E3 license anyway, why not simply use those services? As Cian said, there are other features that integrete with Teams, which will impact the experience.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

I'd say have a look at the Practical Guidance for Microsoft Teams document (here is my copy)  but I didn't see that exact scenario listed but I did see this mentioned:

"To get the best experience on Microsoft Teams, your organization needs to have deployed Exchange Online and SharePoint Online."

and from the admin FAQ 

"For the full Microsoft Teams experience, every user should be enabled for Exchange Online, SharePoint Online, and Office 365 Group creation. Users' Exchange mailboxes can be hosted online or on-premises. Users hosted on Exchange Online can use all the features of Microsoft Teams. They can create and join teams and channels, create and view meetings, modify user profile pictures, add and configure connectors, tabs, and bots, and they can chat and call."

as well as

"If users aren't assigned and enabled with SharePoint Online licenses, they don't have OneDrive for Business storage in Office 365. File sharing will continue to work in Channels, but users are unable to share files in Chats without OneDrive for Business storage in Office 365."

Finally:

"In Microsoft Teams, security and compliance features like eDiscovery, Content Search, archiving, and legal hold work best in Exchange Online and SharePoint Online environments. For channel conversations, messages are journaled to the group mailbox in Exchange Online, where they're available for eDiscovery. If SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business (using work or school account) are enabled across the organization and for users, these compliance features are available for all files within Teams as well."

I'd say keep the SharePoint licence as well as Exchange ones ideally based on the above points.

View solution in original post