SOLVED

File retention policy for OneDrive for Business and SharePoint

Copper Contributor

we are planning to migrate our home drive to one drive for business. we are currently working on setting up policies.  I have some questions on retention policies.

Microsoft official file retention policy is 90+ days i believe. is there is any way we can increase it 2 years ?

days to retain files after the user marked for deletion: i have set it up for 2 years.

I want to change the file retention policy for 2 years . any advise will be appreciated..

Thanks

5 Replies

"Retention" has a different meaning when it comes to compliance. If you want to make sure that files are not permanently deleted and can be recovered after 2 years or more, you need to set up retention policies as detailed here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/overview-of-retention-policies-5e377752-700d-4870-9b6d-12bf...

Without retention policies (or any other type of hold), at best you can hope for 3 months.

This depends on your goal. If you're just trying to keep files around for 2 years when someone gets deleted from your system but you want their OneDrive site to stay around then you can just setup the Preservation Setting in OneDrive admin center to do this.

This doesn't keep every file change and deletion done by the user thou for 2 years, this is just keeping data around and kept from being purged for 2 years after they have been deleted from the system. So if you just want to prevent data from being removed after user deletion then set this setting here in the OneDrive admin center for 730 days for 2 years:

onedrive.jpg 

I want to make sure the files are not permanently deleted and it can be recovered within two years of time. I was reading the TechNet docs.

In security and compliance -> data governance -> retention ->create new policy -> settings.

I was little lost here.

retention.JPG

If I enable this policy, will work in recovering the deleted data within two years of time.

If possible, can some explain what exactly this setting imply in retention?

Thanks

Be careful when turning on preservation policies as it will or at least it used to cause some ill effects with OneDrive clients and the user experience. Such as you could not delete folders and I want to say you couldn't move folders either when this was turned on. I haven't tried recently if those issues have been fixed but it was a deal breaker for us from a user perspective and decided that just turning it on so it didn't remove the users OneDrives after deletion was enough.
best response confirmed by Bupeshkumar Rajendiran (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Based on the settings you have selected, this policy will immutably preserve any document that has been modified in the past 2 years. During this 2 years period, if someone tries to delete the document, a copy of it will be saved in the preservation library, which only admins can access. After 2 years past, documents that have been deleted (and moved to the Preservation library) will no longer be protected and will automatically be purged. Documents that have not been marked for deletion will remain intact in their original location. It's all explained in the documentation.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Bupeshkumar Rajendiran (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Based on the settings you have selected, this policy will immutably preserve any document that has been modified in the past 2 years. During this 2 years period, if someone tries to delete the document, a copy of it will be saved in the preservation library, which only admins can access. After 2 years past, documents that have been deleted (and moved to the Preservation library) will no longer be protected and will automatically be purged. Documents that have not been marked for deletion will remain intact in their original location. It's all explained in the documentation.

View solution in original post