File move and use a template in SharePoint Online

Copper Contributor

Hi to everyone,

I have two problems On SharePoint Online you may have answers : 

- When I move a document from a library to another (within (or not) the same site collection) I loose all the specific features (keywords, adding columns, etc.). Is there a way to keep those personnalized files from a library to another ?

- How tu use "saved templates" (doc library or list) : I saved a library, i got a .stp file. I loaded it in my nex site collection but it looks like a file and not a library. Is there something special to do ?

Thank you very much for your help.

Axel

4 Replies
Regarding your first question, you have to create the columns you have in the first library! The columns themselves won’t copy over! Just the file in the list! And the metadata shown in the new library depends on the column available in the new library

Hi Adam and thank you for your answer. I already tried but in vain, it does not work.

@adam deltinger wrote:
Regarding your first question, you have to create the columns you have in the first library! The columns themselves won’t copy over! Just the file in the list! And the metadata shown in the new library depends on the column available in the new library

How did you move/copy them
Move to will keep metadata and versions in the destination library only if you have the same columns and configuration in the destination library...it seems that's not the case. In regards of the best way to create a template from a document library, don't use the save as template option, you have to go for:
1) PnP remote provisioning.
2) Site Scripts and Site Designs