Exchange Issue

Brass Contributor

A user in the CXO office (on prem) is having issues with her email and calendars.  She has had issues since Friday when OMB was migrated to o365.  She works with the calendars and scheduling with OMB as well.  The user has missed some important email notifications as well.  Is there any way to cross connect between on prem calandars and o365?  The CXO office is not scheduled to be migrated until January.

5 Replies

Hello @Paul Martello,

It is worth taking a look over this document. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/permissions

Delegate Permissions are now designed to work in a hybrid solution when everything is configured properly. You can look to make sure your on prem server has done the appropriate configuration locally.

Having done dozens of hybrid migrations, I can tell you that permissions SHOULD work, but that it has always been somewhat of a headache. The rule of thumb we tell our clients is that if you have users who actively manage other resources mailboxes/calendars etc, then you should just commit and migrate them together. It takes off so much of the hassel of trying to ensure everything is working as intended when both resources are other on prem, or in the cloud.

You will not one of the not supported setups is "Folder permissions - access to the contents of a particular folder," so if you are just doing the calendar and not true delegate or mailbox access that could be your issue. You will need to either migrate the other user, or more likely just temporarily grant delegate access to the user.

Outside of the above, if you are doing true access/delegate access then what you are asking for is supported, and perhaps you first step should just be removing and re-adding those permissions, then checking the pre-reqs for on prem. 

Adam

@Adam Ochs wrote:

Hello @Paul Martello,

It is worth taking a look over this document. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/permissions

Delegate Permissions are now designed to work in a hybrid solution when everything is configured properly. You can look to make sure your on prem server has done the appropriate configuration locally.

Having done dozens of hybrid migrations, I can tell you that permissions SHOULD work, but that it has always been somewhat of a headache. The rule of thumb we tell our clients is that if you have users who actively manage other resources mailboxes/calendars etc, then you should just commit and migrate them together. It takes off so much of the hassel of trying to ensure everything is working as intended when both resources are other on prem, or in the cloud.

You will not one of the not supported setups is "Folder permissions - access to the contents of a particular folder," so if you are just doing the calendar and not true delegate or mailbox access that could be your issue. You will need to either migrate the other user, or more likely just temporarily grant delegate access to the user.

Outside of the above, if you are doing true access/delegate access then what you are asking for is supported, and perhaps you first step should just be removing and re-adding those permissions, then checking the pre-reqs for on prem. 

Adam

Thanks so much for getting back to me.  What our Exchange admin said: 

"I just ran through this to make sure but what I’m not sure about is if you’ll need to recreate the permission on the O365 side.

An O365 user can add permissions for a legacy user to edit their calendar.

A Legacy user cannot add permissions for an O365 user to edit their calendar."

The on prem (2016) user wants access to the o365 user's calandar and email notifications.  I will look over the attachment.  If there is anything else you can add (I suggested using Outlook on the Web, but I am not sure that will work [O365 can allow Legacy but Legacy cannot allow O365]) I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you again,

Paul Martello

@Adam Ochs wrote:

Hello @Paul Martello,

Adam

@Adam Ochs wrote:

Hello @Paul Martello,

Adam

Hey Paul,

No problem!

1. All users on-prem should have Mail Users in the O365 system if you have your hybrid configured correctly. Additionally any user that has been migrated should have a Remote Mailbox sitting on Prem still. As such you should be able to assign permissions from O365 to that Mail User.

This is taken from the article on Full Access:

Full Access A mailbox on an on-premises Exchange server can be granted the Full Access permission to an Office 365 mailbox, and vice versa. For example, an Office 365 mailbox can be granted the Full Access permission to an on-premises shared mailbox. Users need to open the mailbox using the Outlook desktop client; cross-premises mailbox permissions aren't supported in Outlook on the web.

So it should work both ways. 

You also will want to avoid OWA, and do this in the client.

Ultimately I did not handle this situation too much, as we had enough problems with it we typically just recommended that our clients always move them together. 

It should work however where your exchange admin could go in and assign permissions to the user who has migrated (I believe through the remote mailbox), and that would in essence work once everything has provisioned.

Keep in mind Auto-mapping does NOT work across hybrids, so you will have to manually add it in.

Adam

After I forwarded your response, she quoted an excerpt from it:

("You will not one of the not supported setups is "Folder permissions - access to the contents of a particular folder," so if you are just doing the calendar and not true delegate or mailbox access that could be your issue. You will need to either migrate the other user, or more likely just temporarily grant delegate access to the user) 

She agreed with the above and said:

"This is the issue.  Delegates are fine.  Shared calendars are a no.  O365 is ok for legacy - but you will have to delete the connection then connect again as the move process breaks the link - but legacy cannot add a O365 user to edit a legacy calendar."

Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Just to be clear: The person who is having the problem has not been migrated.  She cannot affect or view the calander of the individual who was migrated on Friday.