Enable Read Access to Room (Resource) Calendar

Copper Contributor

Hi O365 Forum team,

We have a room calendar set up as a rudimentary way of tracking staff on leave. One person within the company is set to approve or decline requests sent to this calendar but the entire business should have the ability to open the calendar in Outlook to view who is away. I cannot seem to work out how to enable read only access to this calendar. Can anyone advise on the most suitable way to do this?

Thanks

Steven

3 Replies

Every user in your organization should be able to open and view Room calendar on their Outlook by going to Calendar > Open Calendar > From Room List.

Also, you need to Turn Off Automatic processing in Room Resource and add Delegate who is set to approve and decline requests sent to this Calendar.

By default everyone in the organization is able to see anyone else's calendar, due to the "default" level of permission on the Calendar folder set to "AvailabilityOnly". Which is basically "read-only" access and everyone should be able to add the Calendar to their Outlook. That is, unless you have modified the default permissions.

Now, in most occasions you would want to change the Default level of permissions to LimitedDetails, as it will show some additional information about the appointments in the Calendar. You can do this by:

Set-MailboxFolderPermission room:\calendar -User Default -AccessRights LimitedDetails

Thanks Vasil, I will try this suggestion. Interestingly enough I assumed that the default permission level would allow staff to open the calendar but when we tried it didn't seem to work. I should mention that we are using Outlook 2016 on a fully Mac environment. Outlook on the Mac seems to match most features from the Windows counterpart so I'd assume this would not be the reason why we cannot open the calendar.  I will run the command and let you know if it works.