Difference between Office (Desktop) versions

Brass Contributor

Hi

What is the difference between Office 365 ProPlus, that comes with Office 365 E3 and above, and Office 2016, that comes with Office 365 Business Premium??

What I have understood, at least there is a difference with Intune Office auto installation which supports only ProPlus but not the Office version that comes with Office 365 Business Premium..

3 Replies

Most of the differences are summarized here for Outlook: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/outlook-license-requirements-for-exchange-features-46b6b7c5...

The same applies for the other programs as well, you can expect feature parity with the exception of some compliance-related functionalities such as IRM or DLP support.

Actually I found below article which shows pretty nicely the differences between all Office Applications across different Office 365 plans.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office-applications-service-description.aspx

Hi Livo,

i will take a try to make you to understand the difference & please read this post with clear/empty mind don't confuse yourself.

-> office 365 is a concept or a "name the product"

-> " office professional pro-plus" " office business premium" "office home" "office business " " office student"  and many more are the options/types of products available under "Office 365" provided by microsoft.

-> E1 E3 & E5 are types of licenses available under single individual product listed above. 

-> difference between E1 E2 & E3 are limitation of cloud storage, number of services/features i.e., word, excel, Power BI and etc..., cost pricing & many more...

Comparison of Microsoft Office E1, E3, and E5

Here’s a breakdown of key Office features, and which plans include each feature:

FeatureOffice E1Office E3Office E5
Email and CalendarIncludedIncludedIncluded
Skype for Business – IM, Voice, Video ChatIncludedIncludedIncluded
Yammer, Video, SharepointIncludedIncludedIncluded
OneDrive for Business, DelveIncludedIncludedIncluded
Microsoft Office Apps OnlineIncludedIncludedIncluded
Office Client/Desktop Apps IncludedIncluded
Power BI Pro License  Included
Skype Integrations with Telephone System  Included
Security & Backup FeaturesExchange Online Protection, Archive+ Data Loss Prevention, Rights Management, eDiscovery+ Advanced Threat Protection, Customer Lockbox
Where to BuyBuy NowBuy NowBuy Now

last one office 2013 & 2016 are the apps that you can work on them on your system. there is nothing difference between 2013 & 2016 they are just an update from one version to other all works same. to keep security patches up to date. 

note: office 2016 & 2013 apps comes under office 365 packages.

hope you understand this.. if this helps you to understand then i will be satisfied. 

regards,

kiran