SOLVED

Deleting and recovering a channel from within a Team

Copper Contributor

Microsoft Teams allows you to delete and recover a channel (see image).  This might be a handy feature if structuring a Team in a proposal environment where the channels are by customer, but not all customers have current proposal activity and deleting a channel would clean up the view.   It is preferred to be able to recall the channel since it has the conversation chatter (which at this point, I do not see an option to export).  

I can not find any documentation on what deleting a channel really means.  "Delete" is a very strong word and might imply that you can only recover the channel for a specific period of time.   Does anyone know this answer? 

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Eric Charette (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Deleting a channel deletes the channel from team chat and can be recovered for 10 days.

Your chats in the channel can still be recovered through discovery but cannot be brought back into Teams.

Your best bet is to leave the channel in but not favorite the channel for now. There are uservoice for archiving and exporting channels but those are probably a while out. But my guess would be that would solve your issue archiving and being able to bring that back later.

I deleted and then recovered a channel in the Teams. It recovered the Conversations, Files and Planner Tasks. (I am the team owner.) 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Eric Charette (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Deleting a channel deletes the channel from team chat and can be recovered for 10 days.

Your chats in the channel can still be recovered through discovery but cannot be brought back into Teams.

Your best bet is to leave the channel in but not favorite the channel for now. There are uservoice for archiving and exporting channels but those are probably a while out. But my guess would be that would solve your issue archiving and being able to bring that back later.

View solution in original post