Announcing the public preview of Azure AD group-based license management for Office 365 (and more)!

8 Replies

What a great feature for some clients that have been done this by scripts running on-premises !

And really straightforward to configure, albeit only via the Azure portal for the moment.

Here's a link to the documentation as well: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/active-directory-licensing-whatis-azure-port...

Not too sure about this bit:

Also, every user inheriting any licenses from groups must have the paid Azure AD edition license assigned to them

This is a big relief. Finally I can ask my customers to say bye bye to the scripts I've deployed. Brilliant feature. :)

My view of using AAD Groups to manage Office 365 licenses: good enough for small to medium organizations but maybe not for large enterprises https://www.petri.com/office-365-license-management-azuread-groups

We are only using at this moment Sharepoint Online and Office Online option of our Office E3 subscription (and also EMS E3). Now that I have configured group-based  licensing, this seemed to have worked at the start, but now I am seeing Exchange Mailboxes created online! The users did not have Exchange Online option enabled direct or inherited via groups. Anybody any idea why this is so?

In fact large organizations will not be able to implement Azure AD group based license management right now due to 2 restrictions coming together:

• Group-based licensing currently does not support “nested groups” (groups that contain other groups). If you apply a license to a nested group, only the immediate first-level user members of the group will have the licenses applied.
  • The number of members in a group you can synchronize from your on-premises Active Directory to Azure Active Directory using Azure AD Connect is limited to 50K members.

I hope Microsoft will support nested groups when Azure AD group based license management becomes GA.

So if your users have to have the Azure AD Premium licenses to enable group-based licensing, how are we to deploy that license?

I'm having the same issue. How did you resolve this?

I'm not having any proxyaddress filled in the attribute editor, yet our synced users are getting a mailbox created. This only started when using group licensing.