5-minute overview of Advanced Security Management for Office 365

Bronze Contributor

Lead engineer, Astrid McClean demonstrates Office 365 Advanced Security Management, an enhanced visibility and control into a Office 365 tenant. 

New to Office 365 Advanced Security Management?

ASM identifies high-risk and abnormal usage; assigning a risk score and alerting you when a policy gets triggered; enabling you to investigate alerts, set your own custom policies and take further actions to remediate suspicious activity.

If you have E5 you can turn on Advanced Security Management now or try it here: Aka.ms/E5Trial

3 Replies

We just got back from meeting with the Renault Sport F1 team about their use of ASM (videos to come soon) and a great side effect is that ASM can be used to track and potentially set alerts/rules. It's great for change management and especially when you have multiple admins.

Note that the info queried is the same as the Activity API and activity log, so even in E3 you can get visibility pretty easily into the change logs.

I like Advanced Security Management but I think it will also cause confusion. Microsoft had built out and touted Azure AD premium as a SKU for increased visibility of user activity prior to the purchase of Adallom. Where does that leave Azure AD premium reports?

I have a feature in EMS, sorry EM+S, which I expect will become deprecated. My Azure AD Premium becomes less beneficial but I have to uplift my E3 to E5 (add-on).

The licensing, marketing and implementation needs some thought to avoid annoying a number of enterprise organisations that are most likely going to want this type of monitoring and reporting.