Home

Worried about "O365 Video merge to MS Stream"

Oliver Guo
Occasional Contributor

Worried about "O365 Video merge to MS Stream"

Hi Marc,

Recently we made some research for Video and Stream, and we have some concerns:

1. Our customers have an Education O365 env, should they need to purchase an MS Stream Service additionally?

I heard MS Stream is free in the preview edition, but how about the "convergence" has been finished? Is Stream in the O365 Edu Plan?

2. I noticed some limitations of Stream is much stricter than Video.

For example:

200 videos per Channel in Stream

20000 videos per Channel in O365 Video

100 uploaded videos per user in Stream

No limit was found in O365 Video

In our customer's evn, a lots of videos (thousands, even tens of thousands) would be uploaded via an admin account. Also, there are many videos (several thousands, maybe) in each Channel, far more than 200 -- the limit of Stream.

Will Stream change these limits? If not, how to migrate Video datas to Stream?

It's very important for us, any help would be appreciate.

Regards,

Oliver

8 Replies

Re: Worried about "O365 Video merge to MS Stream"

MS has been pretty consistent at saying that features you enjoy today in O365 Video should be carried over (or made better) in the converged Stream solution.

Presumably also at that time the converged "Stream" becomes part of the same O365 SKUs that get Video presently.

Interesting as I was not aware of any upload limitations with Stream.  Can someone share this with me?

I can't say I am getting my hopes up as there are features in O365 Video that are not yet already a part of Stream.  Come on Microsoft, this will be huge for those who have gone down the O365 path and are waiting for all that is promised in Stream!  Release Date, Pricing, Migration Plan!

oh and hi Kevin, its been a while! hope all is well.

Sorry for my delay in answering.

Q1: Our customers have an Education O365 env, should they need to purchase an MS Stream Service additionally? I heard MS Stream is free in the preview edition, but how about the "convergence" has been finished? Is Stream in the O365 Edu Plan?

A1: No need for EDU customers to buy Stream separate. When Stream is publicly available (out of preview), Stream will automatically be included in the same Enterprise / Academic / Kiosk (E/A/K) plans that O365 Video is included in today. Government Community Cloud offerings won't be part of Stream at release but we'll add Stream to GCC to match O365 Video over the course of 2017.

Q2. I noticed some limitations of Stream is much stricter than Video. Will Stream change these limits? If not, how to migrate Video datas to Stream?

A2: When we bring Stream out of preview paid subscriptions will have very high limits such that the limits shouldn’t be a factor. So for all the EDU customer that get O365 Video today they’ll get Stream in the future and those existing strict limits will be removed. We are still working out what we’ll raise the limits to, but our intention is to raise them really high such that they aren’t a factor.

We will have a separate storage quota for Stream that’s separate from SPO site pooled quota. This separate storage quota for Stream will only count against the original videos you upload to Stream. We are still finalizing the details here but it will be X per tenant + Y per user (very similar to what SPO storage quota looks like today). If for some reason you have more videos in O365 Video than storage quota in Stream, when we do the migration for you, we’ll likely grant you some extra storage space to make sure you aren’t over any storage limits on day 1.

@Scott Tupper - We are still finalizing Stream release date, pricing, and when the migration from O365 Video to Stream would be ready to happen.

However as we've send on this forum and this blog/video from a while ago: https://stream.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/microsoft-stream-and-office-365-video/

You'll get Stream as part of your E/A/K plans (eventually G plans), just like you do O365 Video today.

We are working on code to seamlessly transition your content from O365 Video to Stream, but since we won't have 100% parity between the 2 solutions right away (some features  & data center differences) we'll start the transition with opt in, eventually move to opt out, and finally when we feel we have good parity move to automatic.

We have quite a lot of videos in Office 365 Video. Will we be able to transfer those over to Stream?

Phil Brannigan wrote:

We have quite a lot of videos in Office 365 Video. Will we be able to transfer those over to Stream?

Yes when our transistion service is ready we'll move your videos from O365 Video to Stream. See this article for more details and answers to common questions:

https://stream.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/stream-migrate-from-o365/

Related Conversations
No Assignments Tab in Microsoft Teams
Nick Davies  in  Microsoft Teams  on
24 Replies
Create private channel in a team
Catalin Prata  in  Microsoft Teams  on
45 Replies
External Sharing with Stream or Video
Mike Adams  in  Office 365 Video  on
19 Replies
Excel crashing