Home

Re: Microsoft Stream general availability - planning

Frequent Contributor

Re: Microsoft Stream general availability - planning

@Marc Mroz: Thanks for the insight so far. I have a few questions: 

1. I want to understand which type of Group gets a Stream channel. I believe you're talking Outlook Groups in these forums, which makes sense. But...
    1. Does a Yammer Feed get a Stream Channel?
    2. How about a Teams Chat?
    3. Which type(s) of existing Group(s) get a Stream Channel upon GA. (That is, if I have a Yammer Feed from a year ago, will it magically get a Stream Channel upon GA?)
  2. Ultimately, I will have to add Stream to this infographic (excerpt below) and I need to know where the Stream box will go.
  3. When is GA? I saw elsewhere in posts it was supposed to be last week, but stream.microsoft.com still says it's in preview.

Pulling in @Vishal Sood as well since he's familiar with my infographics from LinkedIn.

O365 Twitter Post.png

8 Replies

How Groups Work in Stream?

@Matt Wade - Sorry for my delay. I was out last week and just catching up this week now.

We would be a new blue box for "Microsoft Stream" with the action of "+Create a Group" on your info graphic. And a new "stream redish pink box" on the bottom row. We decided on calling them "Stream groups" in Stream, with the ability to add "Channels" inside each Group.

For your questions...
1. Yes, we are creating an Outlook group for each Stream group you create in Stream. We do not create a Yammer group or auto make the group enabled in Teams. 

1.1 Yes, since new Yammer creates a group under the covers, that group will be able to be used in Stream. (Any group created in any of the servcies will sync to Stream and show up with there. You'll be able to permission videos against it and have a "mini-video portal" for the group if you choose to use it.)

1.2 Yes, if you make a Teams team :) It will also show up in Stream to be used.

1.3 Only existing Groups will be available to be used in Stream. I don't know if Yammer has done the work to convert EXISTING Yammer groups into an O365 Groups. If they did, then those will be in Stream. If they didn't convert existing Yammer groups to O365 Groups, then they won't show up in Stream.

2. See above.

3. GA - The Admin Message center post said this Spring but to be a little more specific it'll be later this month.

Re: How Groups Work in Stream?

@Marc Mroz, you da man. Thanks for the detailed reply. I may hit you up later if I have any additional questions. (Sorry in advance.)

Just my little contribution: existing Yammer Groups will also have an Office 365 Groups (another discussion about this in the Tech Community) so the conversion process will take place
Highlighted

So a Yammer Feed gets an Exchange Mailbox and Teams Chat? Do existing Outlook/Teams Groups get a Yammer Feed? Can you point me to a source on that?

@Marc Mroz thanks for the info. I made updates.

O365 Twitter Post.png

The conversion of existing Yammer groups to add an Office 365 Group is in progress, our tenant converted earlier this month.

Our groups built from Yammer do not include a Team chat. Nor do they have Outlook conversations. Likewise creating a Team does not create a Yammer feed. The conversation mode of the Office 365 group will vary depending on where it is created with one inconsistency which is -- if you create a Team is still creates the Outlook conversations experience and I hope they fix that at some point because it is confusing.

The experience with Yammer is very nice. If you go to the companion SharePoint site and click "Group conversations" it goes to Yammer. If you do it in the SharePoint mobile app it opens the Yammer app. Teams needs to work the same way.

That's helpful, thanks @Tony Redmond. I updated my write-up that goes with my infographic to reference the two different "types" of Yammer Groups.

Related Conversations