Home

O365 Video to Stream

Tim Crean
Contributor

O365 Video to Stream

I have been looking at Stream over the past few days and I have a question related to channel permissions and how they will migrate over to Stream.

Our current O365 Video offering relies on channels with 1 or more owners who manage the permissions on the channel (Owners, Editors,Viewers).  Owners use AD groups or just individual O365 accounts to manage permissions.

From what I am seeing in Stream, a Channel can only use Office 365 Groups (Stream groups) to set permissions on the channel.  We are in the process of planning for O365 Groups, but at this time we do not have many groups and it is highly unlikely that we will give users the ability to create O365 groups.

It seems that Stream has made an architectural decision based on the fact that everyone is fully implementing Office 365 Groups.  Did I miss something?

Hoping @Marc Mroz is still monitoring this community.

Thanks,

Tim

9 Replies

Re: O365 Video to Stream

Hey @Tim Crean!

We did take a architectural bet on O365 Groups. Since so many O365 services are doing this same thing, we needed to do something similiar so that we can easily do deeper integrations with them in the future (Teams, Yammer, SP, Outlook, StaffHub, etc) and have the same base set of permissions enforced. 

This does mean that you are constrined to Owners/Members in a Group and can't nest securty groups. 

However for migrating the channels from O365 Video to Stream, we are not going to be automatically making new O365 Groups for them. We'll have a "special" group type in Stream that will port over the owners/editors/viewers and all permissions (including security groups) from the O365 Video channel. This will allow us to have a 1 to 1 mapping of O365 Video channels to a group entity in Stream with exact permissions.

For Stream GA we decided to stick with just exposing the owners/member on the O365 Group in Stream to not make things complicated.

But when we do the migration we'll have a Stream group that is NOT connected to an o365 group. In the back of my mind I have a feeling that when we do this we might also need/want to allow creation of groups in Stream in this same way.

We haven't set this as the plan yet, but would love your and other customer's feedback after they've played with Stream to see if this is needed or not. I think we need you all to use Stream groups that are connected to O365 Groups for a while to see how it feels. If after using it for a while you feel you need a Stream group that's not connected to groups we can think about doing that, as technically under the covers we'll have the ability to do so.

I'm pretty vehemently opposed to Groups as the primary mechanism, the more i look at the new Stream format. It is SO confusing to me, and i swear i understand Groups better than most anyone.

The O365 Video model was the correct one for a corporate Video Portal solution

I have no problem with Stream as a general Group service just to have one, but not for formal corporate delivery, and really hope 'companywide' channels grow up into what O365 Video is/was. The number of Groups is creating too much 'noise'.

Please dont auto provision Groups for customers, we already have o365 groups for many channels, and this would result in needless duplication. I'm sure its messy to plan the migration technically this was, but id give customers the choice for each channel.

I agree 100%

I think both models have something to offer. Small teams will surely enjoy the Stream GA permissions model and the ability to place a video in multiple channels. But for organizational use there is definitely a need for the Office 365 Video permissions model and support for groups in Azure AD. I have a existing channels that use these types of objects and I would hope a migration would support that.

That porting will be helpful but for sure the lack of support for Active Directory security groups will be a pain point for us. Especially for Viewing permissions when it is set to something less than "everyone" and more than "small group."  e.g. "everyone in R&D business unit" - we don't have O365 Groups for those things and I suspect most orgs don't.

Thank you so much for the feedback everyone. We will definitely factor this into the thinking. Two things we will have for sure are

• New Stream Groups as they work in Stream GA (tied to Office 365 Groups)
  • "Special" Stream Groups to migrate existing Office 365 Video channels (not tied to Office 365 Groups).

The feedback on this thread seems to indicate that we should allow creating these "Special" Stream groups for non migration scenarios too.

Thanks @Vishal Sood and @Marc Mroz.

I had a chance to take Stream for a longer spin recently.

First off, What we like:

• Ability to set a company policy for video and require acceptance on first upload
  • Video close captioning, it is not perfect, but a very good start.  Can the .vtt captioning file be edited after it is created and then uploaded back to Stream to correct CC mistakes?   I can download the .vtt file that is auto-generated, but I do not see a way to upload it back to the video after editing mistakes.
  • We love the video transcription and ability to jump to places in the video from transcript
  • We like the video people face recognition and ability to jump to spot in video where person is speaking
    • Would be nice if faces were linked to O365 user profile/Delve page info to find out more about who is speaking
  • We like the ability to follow channels
  • We like the ability to have a video be in more than one channel

Questions/Observations below:

1. We like the concept of O365 Groups and we have an active project to understand and support Groups on campus.  However, some of our departments are very deep into use of AD groups managed by Grouper and used (in some cases) as both mail enabled groups and as security groups.  The reality is that most of those AD groups will never be migrated to an O365 Group, so it is very important that Stream have the ability to use those groups in a migrated  channel, as well as with a new channel.

2. From what I can tell, Stream channels do not have the concept of Owner,Editor, Viewer when creating a new channel with an O365 Group.  That permission structure in Video was one of the things we found very useful for our channel owners.  It looks like there are now two levels: Owner and Editor.  Is that correct?  If so, how will the Owner,Editor, Viewer permissions be migrated from Video to Stream?

3. The Admin controls in Stream also appear to be a bit limited compared to what we are used to in Video. At the Stream Admin level, video upload and channel creation permissions are combined.  In Video we have the ability to restrict channel creation to a group, but allow video upload at the channel level based on channel owner's needs.  This seems very limited.  Our vision for enterprise video did not involve allowing end users to create their own channels.  In addition, at this point we do not allow O365 Group creation by our users.  It is something we are exploring, but no decison as of yet.

4. Our Accessibility and Usability Lab has done some initial testing of Stream with screen readers, just as we did with O365 Video. I expect we will have some feedback based on their testing in the next couple of weeks.  Can we reach out to you at that point, or do you have an alternate contact for Accessibility in Stream.

Thank you both for listening to all of the feedback and apologies for my delay in response.

Tim

@Vishal Sood and @Marc Mroz - a quick bump on my previous post with comments/questions and another question for you:

O365 Video was part of the O365 EDU licensing.  Stream seems to have 2-3 different "plans".  Do you know which plan comes with the EDU license?

Thank you,

Tim

Hi Tim - Thanks for the bump. I was out of the office the last 12 weeks, but am back now.

Here are the answers to your questions...

Q1. We like the concept of O365 Groups and we have an active project to understand and support Groups on campus.  However, some of our departments are very deep into use of AD groups managed by Grouper and used (in some cases) as both mail enabled groups and as security groups.  The reality is that most of those AD groups will never be migrated to an O365 Group, so it is very important that Stream have the ability to use those groups in a migrated  channel, as well as with a new channel.

A1. Right now the plan of record is that we only support AD Groups and the owner/editor/viewer levels in a special group type we are creating to support transitioning existing O365 Video channels into Stream. So anything moved over from O365 Video will have this support for sure. We've passed on this same feedback to the O365 Groups team that owns the infrastructure we use for Stream groups. Ideally O365 Groups would support AD Security groups and 3 roles. However barring support at O365 Groups infrastructure level we could technically allow you to create new Stream groups that are like the ones we are supporting for the O365 Video transition, however that is not the current plan. We will take your feedback and feedback of others over the coming months to see if we should change our current plan.

Q2. From what I can tell, Stream channels do not have the concept of Owner,Editor, Viewer when creating a new channel with an O365 Group.  That permission structure in Video was one of the things we found very useful for our channel owners.  It looks like there are now two levels: Owner and Editor.  Is that correct?  If so, how will the Owner,Editor, Viewer permissions be migrated from Video to Stream?

A2. This is somewhat answered above in A1. We will have a special Stream Group type that supports the O365 Video Channel owners/editors/viewers and AD Security Groups. So content from O365 VIdeo will be ported over 1 for 1 the same as it is in O365 Video. That said in Stream Groups today already in product we have Owners / Members role. You can then toggle if the Members of the group are viewers or editors/uploaders. There is a Stream only setting (check box) on the Group called "Allow members to contribute". If checked members of the group can edit/upload videos to the group. If unchecked the members of the group are treated as viewers only.

Q3. The Admin controls in Stream also appear to be a bit limited compared to what we are used to in Video. At the Stream Admin level, video upload and channel creation permissions are combined.  In Video we have the ability to restrict channel creation to a group, but allow video upload at the channel level based on channel owner's needs.  This seems very limited.  Our vision for enterprise video did not involve allowing end users to create their own channels.  In addition, at this point we do not allow O365 Group creation by our users.  It is something we are exploring, but no decison as of yet.

A3. In the next month or so we'll split the existing Stream admin setting for who can create channels and who can upload videos. We've gotten the feedback loud and clear that having these 2 settings combined doesn't work for many customers. I'm hoping that helps unblock you and other customers from using Stream. Do you think if we split that setting to 2 different settings that would work? Or are there still some issue in admin setting we need to address?

Q4. Our Accessibility and Usability Lab has done some initial testing of Stream with screen readers, just as we did with O365 Video. I expect we will have some feedback based on their testing in the next couple of weeks.  Can we reach out to you at that point, or do you have an alternate contact for Accessibility in Stream.

A4. You can feel free to reach out to us. We'll pull in our accessibility owner for Stream.

Q5. O365 Video was part of the O365 EDU licensing.  Stream seems to have 2-3 different "plans".  Do you know which plan comes with the EDU license?

A5. You can see the Stream licensing documentation here: https://stream.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/stream-license-overview/

In short, Stream is automatically included in the EDU licenses.  However the deep search on what's being said in the video and the face timeline to jump to where a specific face appears are only includede in the E5 version of the EDU licenses.

Related Conversations
No Assignments Tab in Microsoft Teams
Nick Davies  in  Microsoft Teams  on
24 Replies
Create private channel in a team
Catalin Prata  in  Microsoft Teams  on
45 Replies
External Sharing with Stream or Video
Mike Adams  in  Office 365 Video  on
19 Replies
Disable Microsoft Stream
Alex Vincent  in  Microsoft Stream Forum  on