Home

Microsoft Stream general availability - planning

Kevin Crossman
MVP

Microsoft Stream general availability - planning

Based on the Message Center post below...

Unclear what this means for orgs like ours using O365 Video.

• Will there be two App Launcher Tiles for Video and Stream?  How will that work in practice? Will there essentially be two video portals?
  • Looks like we can disable Stream. Any downstream effects related to the product merge if we do?

Microsoft Stream general availability
MC101855
Published On : May 15, 2017
Expires On : December 15, 2017
A few months ago, in MC74630, we announced the preview of a new enterprise video service: Microsoft Stream. Stream will reach general availability this spring and is included in Office 365 subscriptions with Office 365 Video today, including Enterprise, Education, and Kiosk subscriptions. Stream is a new service that brings the power of intelligent enterprise video into a video hub, and enables knowledge sharing, communication, and connectivity in the secure enterprise environment. Stream is the successor to Office 365 Video; however the two services will co-exist during the transition period.
How does this affect me?
At general availability, Stream will be visible in the Office 365 app launcher, and be on-by-default at the tenant level. There is no action required for existing Office 365 Video users at this time and there will be no change in Office 365 Video service when Stream reaches general availability. The transition from Office 365 Video to Stream will be a phased approach and we will continue to make improvements, maintain, and support Office 365 Video during this time. During the transition period, Office 365 Video and Stream will co-exist as separate services. The transition from Office 365 Video to Stream will happen throughout 2017, giving customers time to acclimate to the new service. Microsoft will transition all videos, channels, and permissions from Office 365 Video into Stream. After the transition, existing Office 365 Video embed codes and links to videos will still work, redirecting to the same content in Stream.
What do I need to do to prepare for this change?
If you are considering enterprise video scenarios, but are not currently using Office 365 Video, we recommend getting started with Stream. If you want more control on the availability of Stream in your organization, you will be able to manage user access and permissions to Stream through the Office 365 Admin Center or PowerShell starting after May 23, 2017. Additional details for permission management will be communicated in the Office 365 Video Tech Community and Microsoft Stream documentation pages. If you are currently using Office 365 Video, there is no action for you at this time. We will continue to share updates on the transition plan details in the coming months and encourage you to visit our blog to learn more about Stream. Please click Additional Information to learn more.
36 Replies

Re: Microsoft Stream general availability - planning

What it means for O365 Video customers is that you'll have Stream start showing up in the App Luancher (on by default) when we flip the switches in the coming months to fully launch Stream (GA/out of preview).  There will be 2 app launcher tiles one that says "Video" and the other saying "Stream".

Other than that there will be no change right now to O365 Video. It will still co-exist with Stream.

Stream will have it's own service plan that will start showing up in the E/A/K plans around 5/23. If you need to disable Stream for users, when the service plan shows up you can start unlicensing users. If a user doesn't have the Stream service plan turned on / enabled for them, then they won't see the app launcher tile for Stream and won't be able to navigate to Stream via URLs. With this method you can have some people trying/using Stream and others not.

The other option is to fully disable Stream for EVERYONE in the tenant by disabling the AD App ID that's used by Stream. If you take this option you might run into issues as we enable your tenant to be able to be migraed over to Stream in the future.

We still are working on the migration service to allow you to automatically move your videos/content over to Stream. No change in plans there. Still targeting later this year for first customers to be able to click a button and move. We'll start with opt-in, move to opt-out, and eventually automatically migrate all existing O365 Video customers to Stream.

Highlighted

RE: Microsoft Stream general availability - planning

Will there be new features with GA, or can we assume that the "current version is feature complete" (not talking about feature updates).

I just hope we can organize videos better in Stream than in Video. Really liked O365Video but was very limited.

Re: RE: Microsoft Stream general availability - planning

@Ivan Unger - No Stream will looks VERY different come GA. We are adding some big new features in there including O365 Groups support, updated pages (look / feel), and more.

Re: RE: Microsoft Stream general availability - planning

That's great to hear. O365 was interesting but just so limited, even little buggy on some stuff. I can't wait for GA for Stream.

@Jamie Terrell - You will have more organization of videos in Stream come GA. 

You'll be able to use the "company-wide channels" as they exist today in Stream, but we are adding O365 Groups support. So within a Stream group you'll be able to also make channels, which will inherit the membership of the Stream group. With this you'll be able to have an extra layer of organization inside the Stream group to organize into channels.

If you are familiar with O365 Video, the Stream groups concept (besides being joined to O365 Groups), is most closely like a O365 Video channel, with added bonus of being able to organize videos within the Group instead of just a flat list. With a Stream group you'll be able to control membership of the group who are owners/members, if the group is public/private, etc. We added one extra setting to Stream that's not on O365 Groups by itself which within Stream allows you to control if the members of the group are viewers only or have edit/contribute rights.

I have a few questions:

If we have disabled O365 Groups in our tenant, does that mean we cannot use Stream? Will we need to start allowing O365 Groups to use it?

Can we use AD security groups to secure videos and/or the channel equivalent in Stream.

When Stream gets switched on in our tenant, will users be able to start uploading to it immediately or will there need to be some admin configuration applied first?

Will there be the equivalent of the Office 365 Video ribbon icon for Stream when posting content in SharePoint?

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Q: If we have disabled O365 Groups in our tenant, does that mean we cannot use Stream? Will we need to start allowing O365 Groups to use it?

A: If you've disabled O365 Groups in your tenant you can use Stream still but the Stream group functionality won't be there, which means you won't have the ability to have "private/limited" areas like O365 Video channels are today. 

If O365 Groups is disabled you'll still be able to create "company-wide" channels and permission individual videos to make them private.

For a video to be in a company-wide channel it needs to be marked that "everyone in the org" can see the video. In addition with "company-wide" channels you can't limit who can add videos to these. 

So without groups Stream still works but you lose the "private channel" concept. Private channels come from private O365 Groups.

Q: Can we use AD security groups to secure videos and/or the channel equivalent in Stream?

In Stream you'll be able to use AD Security Groups to secure indivdual vidoes. However in Stream in the coming months the only way to secure area for videos is to make a private Stream Group (which is an O365 Group). Channels won't have permissions / restrictions. They'll either be company wide (open to everyone) or be a channel within a Group and then inheriet the memebership / privacy of the group itself.

Q: When Stream gets switched on in our tenant, will users be able to start uploading to it immediately or will there need to be some admin configuration applied first?

A: You'll have to go into Stream and restrict who can upload/create channels. By default Stream will be on and everyone can upload. The other option if you aren't ready for Stream is to un-license users. Around 5/23 the Stream service plan will start showing up under the E/A/K plans and you can turn it off to block that person from going to Stream.

Thanks for the quick reply Marc.

Follow up question, will we be able to have the equivalent of a company wide viewing channel, with a specific group of users that can upload to it? Or does the fact that you can see the channel mean you can upload to it?

For example we have a Corporate Marketing channel, IT Training channel, Health and Safety channel etc.. that is viewable company wide but restricted to different sets of contributors for upload.

Yes, in the coming months in Stream you can accomplish having an area for videos that everyone can view in the org, but only a few contribute/upload to, with a Public Stream group (public O365 Group). 

With a public Stream group, everyone in the org would automatically be able to see all the videos permissioned to it, but only the members of the group would be able to contribute / edit the videos within the group.

In addtion, since O365 Groups only have two roles (owners / members) we are adding a Stream only option which allows you to toggle if the members should be viewers or editors on the group. (Owners are always editors.)

What does it mean for Enterprise Customers that use O365 Video as a source to surface videos using Delve or even video aggregation solutions using Search? With the transition to stream , I understand that the storage moves to Azure and thus no longer in the purview of Search/Graph. What are the options there? Does MS have a roadmap there for Enterprises that have already taken the road for O365 video adoption/solutions?

@Marc Mroz  I'm confused on this (part of why I don't care for everything being so aligned to Groups automatically)

So I'm going to play back what I am reading in as simple terms as I can put it, and hopefully get a confirmation or a correction.

• All Stream Channels will have a Group automatically created for it.  And all Groups will have a Stream Channel automatically provisioned
    • Including pre-existing Groups
  • If the Group is private
    • Members of that Group can add and manage videos in that connected Stream Channel
    • Videos CANNOT be shared with users not in the Group without making the users members of the Group, including all other group tools
  • If the Group is public
    • Admins will be able to define who can contribute videos
    • Any user that joins will be able to see the videos
    • You cannot see the videos without joining
  • There will be NO way to just have a Stream Channel of videos Only (similar to O365 Video where you can define admins, contributors, and viewers).

My minimum requirement would be:

1. Every group gets a Stream channel
    • I can tolerate this and see use cases for it, but not from an overall organizational delivery of videos solution
  2. The organization can define non-group connected channels for the sole purpose of sharing videos, period (no extra stuff)
    • more valuable from an organizational delivery perspective

IMO tieing this to Groups has benefits, but way complicates what people need a Video service for in the first place.

If I'm using Youtube, I dont need a gmail, and a google drive, and a google tasks, and a google, I just need a channel period.  Groups are great, I love Groups, but this is a case where once again too much is being provisioned blindly.

@Brent Ellis, Stream will have two primary concepts

• Channels - these are just like tags, labels used to organize a pool of videos. You can have a channel around a topic and videos can be added to one or more channels. The idea is that if somone is looking for videos around a topic, they can find them easily. Channels have no permissions so it's open to the entire company or the Group in which the channel exists (see next point below)
  • Groups - this will be a way to permission your videos to a specific set of audiences. The idea is if I have a team in Teams or a group in Yammer and I want to share videos with that group without having to keep track of who is in the group, I can use a Group for that. Further, inside the group I can have channels to organize my content. 

Beyond this, you can simply take a video and restrict viewers to a user or security group without having to use Groups or Channels. If you don't want to create a Stream Group you don't have to. You can define a set of owners and viewers directly on the video. The video will still show up in search, etc. when someone with access looks for it.

The primary reason we wanted to go with Groups is so that we consolidate all membership management to a single place in Office so that that Admin does not have have update people memberships in different places. 

Does this help with your concerns?

Hi Arin

Arin Roy wrote:

What does it mean for Enterprise Customers that use O365 Video as a source to surface videos using Delve or even video aggregation solutions using Search? With the transition to stream , I understand that the storage moves to Azure and thus no longer in the purview of Search/Graph. What are the options there? Does MS have a roadmap there for Enterprises that have already taken the road for O365 video adoption/solutions?

This is not the long term state. It's a point in time thing and we are working on how best to make sure Stream videos show up in Delve, Search and Graph. We don't have a timeline yet but we know this is important so have it on our roadmap.

Thanks @Vishal Sood, it probably does, I look forward to seeing it in action.  

@Brent Ellis - Vishal gave the high level overview of the difference between Stream Groups and Stream Channels... just adding more details here on your specific questions/statements.

Q: All Stream Channels will have a Group automatically created for it.  And all Groups will have a Stream Channel automatically provisioned (Including pre-existing Groups)

A: Yes any new Stream group will create an O365 Group. For existing O365 groups, you'll see them show up to be picked to permission a video against or to browse to when you want to "browse all groups" or go to "my groups."

Q: If the Group is private

• Members of that Group can add and manage videos in that connected Stream Channel
  • Videos CANNOT be shared with users not in the Group without making the users members of the Group, including all other group tools

A: Yes you are correct for the most part. Let me add a few more details. For each Stream group (connected to o365 Group) we'll have a setting that determines if members of the group are editors or viewers. If they are viewers they can only see videos in the group. If they are editors then yes they can manage videos in that Stream Group. 

If you sent someone a link to a video in a private Stream group and they weren't a member, then yes they wouldn't be able to see the video. We are using a private Stream groups as a way to have private videos. 

You could also make an individual video private by just permissioning it to select people, as Stream supports permission at the video and group levels.

Q: If the Group is public
Admins will be able to define who can contribute videos
Any user that joins will be able to see the videos
You cannot see the videos without joining

A: No this is not quite right.

If the group is public everyone in the company can see videos permissioned to the Group. (Even if they don't join the group).

The Owners of the group can determine (just like in private groups) if members are viewers or editors/contributors. If members are contributors, then you have to join the group to add videos. If members are viewers only, then the only folks that contribute videos are the owners of the group.

Q: There will be NO way to just have a Stream Channel of videos Only (similar to O365 Video where you can define admins, contributors, and viewers).

A: You sort of will be able to make something close to an O365 Video Channel. At Stream GA the only way to make something similar to an O365 Video channel (owners, editors, viewers) will be with a Stream Group. Which will make an O365 Group. With the above described settings you can come close with the Owners/Members and determining if Members are editors or viewers. So an O365 Video Channel = Stream Group as we've built it. A Stream channel is just a way to organize things by topic either company-wide or within a Stream Group. 

Bonus:

So as I mentioned in the other thread, we won't be auto-creating an O365 Group for every O365 Video channel during migration. We'll have a special concept when we are ready to migrate stuff over to Stream that will allow a special kind of Stream Group that does have all the same owners/editors/viewers as is in O365 Video, so we can port those over one for one with no loss.

We aren't planning right now to open up the ability of creating these "special" Stream groups not connected to O365 Groups. As we see people use Stream groups and we get feedback, we have the opportunity to do change direction. The hard part is explaining that if you make one kind of Stream Group it works good with Teams/Groups/SP, etc and another kind its just sioled in Stream and doesn't share permissions. As such our first take is to try and stick with that new Stream groups ARE tied to an O365 Group one for one.

I think a good "compromise" or "goal" that would fit what you are trying to do would be to allow a private Group to share videos/channels (for viewing only) to non-Group members, and get away from the limitation of the Group being Public.

By default - Admin is the admin, members can view and contribute, and no one else can view
Give Admin the ability to set members as viewers only, and not contributors
Give Admin the ability to set additional viewers outside of the Group

e.g. Training Department has an O365 Group where they conduct internal business. They have a Stream Channel that they will use to post videos for employees to learn about "Topic X". The people that need to see the video don't need to be part of the Group and the Group doesnt have to be Public because private business is being conducted in the other workloads of the Group. That way the Training Department doesnt need to be part of 2 Groups to accomplish what being part of 1 Group could accomplish.

Our organization has 2 users that can create Groups (restricted access based on process), and we currently have no plans on using "Public" Groups at all.

Hi Vishal,

It is good to know that it is on the roadmap. But the announcement of Stream in GA also announces a transition from O365 videos to Stream --> thus convergence to a single video platform in 2017. I am hoping that the product team takes into account that although this is a "point in time thing" --> in the absence of a clear picture, it makes the future of existing Enterprise solutions based on O365 video and search/graph (interim) uncertain. Not to forget, with the message to customers to start using Stream as the de-facto video platform hereafter only adds to uncertainty in investing in any new solutions at the moment. This is of course not a desirable state for Enterprise customers who have to hold up projects/solutions due to uncertainty of what's coming. Obviously, it is not expected that business users are told "Sorry, we can't/shouldn't build/invest in a new solution around O365/Search/Graph at the moment because we are uncertain of the roadmap/timelines".

Great progress. Looking forward to seeing all these new features.

Quick question on external users.

If the underlying group accepts users external to the org, I'm assuming they'll have access to that group's videos, and no access to any other org content?

@Marc Mroz, will the same quotas and limitations exist in Stream GA that do in Stream Preview mentioned here: https://stream.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/stream-quotas-and-limitations/?

No we are raising those limits for Stream GA. Those were there because under preview Stream was free.

Our intention is to raise the limits to a high enough point that no customers will notice them.

I don't know the exact new limits that were picked.

@Ashish Chawla - Could you add more details on what we finally landed on in this area of stream limits?

Jorge Carvalho wrote:

Great progress. Looking forward to seeing all these new features.

Quick question on external users.

If the underlying group accepts users external to the org, I'm assuming they'll have access to that group's videos, and no access to any other org content?

We won't have support for external/guest users in Stream. Even if the O365 Group has guests they won't have access to Stream to see any of the videos / channels with in the group.

We have external/guest users on our list to do for the future for Stream but we aren't actively working on it now, sorry. We most likely will leverage the O365 Groups guest user infrastructure when we pick up this project. There is work that would need to be done on our side in Stream to support this.

I'm really interested in you post.....why would you disable groups as a key component of O365 collaboration and the foundation of teams etc? I'm really interested.

We've put a lot of emphasis on our information architecture, document management and metadata tagging on content in O365.
The fact that a Group spins up a site collection without any of the rules and governance we are relying on means its not for us yet.

@Richard Bourke - Groups does have ability to manage who can create, etc.

Would that help? Also, Stream Groups would be able to leverage any existing groups (you don't have to create new ones) and you can manage who can create Groups to keep them focussed.

Lastly, are you using Teams or new Yammer Groups where Groups are also used?

The level of confusion is continuing to skyrocket with the confusing utilization of groups for everything.

This exact same conversation is happening in each product forum.

Until Microsoft approaches Groups as a true collaboration tool (like Teams) and gives you the ability to selectively enable and disable services/workloads this is only going to get worse.

We're looking at "opportunity tracking" in Dynamics 365, and every opportunity can create a new Group

Every Stream creates a new Group

Every plan creates a new Group

Every yammer creates a new Group

Everyone a bell rings, an angel gets its wings (and a group is created)

Groups is such an awesome platform, but without control and logic it will build a mega unsustainable platform with content literally everywhere you can imagine under the sun. For end users that is super bad. With everything I listed above I see thousands if not hundreds of thousands of Steam Channels when all is said and done (and we are a company of less than 2000 people). Where logically we will probably only really need less than 50 channels when all is said and done.
Moved:

Hello @Marc Mroz I'm a bit alarmed by this info.

A year ago you mentioned on https://office365video.uservoice.com/forums/273864-o365-video-feedback that your group started working on external sharing a channel with authenticated users.

Will this ever become available in Video 365?

Thanks,

Bart

Yes, would love to hear the reasoning behind this. Pretty much a deal breaker for any serious video collaboration so I hope there is an update. Looking forward to seeing Stream in action.

I'm confused whether Stream is now GA or not.

The article says "Stream will reach general availability this spring" and it is now mid-June. However, when I go to the Stream on O365 it still says "Stream preview".

Robert Webb wrote:
I'm confused whether Stream is now GA or not.

The article says "Stream will reach general availability this spring" and it is now mid-June. However, when I go to the Stream on O365 it still says "Stream preview".

Stream is still in preview right now but will be GA soon (very soon).

I share these sentiments. Having no external sharing on videos is truly a deal-breaker. That and video editing features were the things I was hoping for from this revamped video portal. Simple performance improvements, multitagging and Groups intergration isn't gonna cut it quite the way I was hoping!

External sharing might have some uses but honestly I have an investment in Kaltura for that use case and it would take a long time for Stream to match that feature set. There are many internal features I would rank higher in terms of need within my tenant.

If those two features would appear in Stream, I could save a pretty penny from many of my customer's annual licence costs since many companies here in Finland are using a domestic solution called DreamBroker, and are eager to get those features from the O365 license.

Hi,

Should we expect that nothing is coming for external sharing for Streams.  Not even B2B collaboration users?

Related Conversations
Teams crashes on check for updates
Jonathon Halford  in  Microsoft Teams  on
36 Replies
Adding external users to teams
Sean Whyment  in  Microsoft Teams  on
311 Replies
How to connect a "Team" to a "Group"
Mike Dumka  in  Microsoft Teams  on
45 Replies
No Team Channel Notifications
Jake Baldwin  in  Microsoft Teams  on