SOLVED
Home

External Sharing with Stream or Video

Highlighted
Mike Adams
New Contributor

Apologies if this has been covered before but does anyone know if Videos on either Office 365 Video or Microsoft Stream can be shared out to the public with a link as yet?

Kind regards

Mike

19 Replies
Solution

Re: External Sharing with Stream or Video

You can expect sharing of videos to external users (Authenticated users) soon but not as anonymous link shared to view by anyone.
https://office365video.uservoice.com/forums/273864-o365-video-feedback/suggestions/7644834-allow-ext...

Thanks Santhosh - I will give feeback on the link you sent. :)

We have public/anonymous sharing of videos on the list for the future but not actively working on it yet. Keep the votes coming in on uservoice.

Thanks Marc, I'll keep an eye open for it.

External sharing is actually shown in the Stream overview video so I'm a bit surprised it's on the list for the future as opposed to already in development.

Any Office 365 feature that offers unlimited, anonymous sharing presents a commercial challenge to Microsoft.  Those of us with long memories will remember the Office 365 'Public website' feature that allowed a company to purchase a single E3 license and host their corporate web site with unlimited bandwidth/downloads/users.  This feature was withdrawn for all the right reasons.

What Microsoft need to do with Stream/O365 video is add a cost option for those corporates that want unlimited, unauthenticated, public access to a video channel.  This could have some kind of 'fair usage' or monthly bandwidth limit to protect them from the 0.1% of users that abuse any SaaS offering.

We are not trying to take on Facebook and YouTube which are predominantly C2C video platforms, what we should be looking to do is displace the likes of Brightcove, Ooyala, Wistia and Vimeo that many Office 365 customers have subscribed to because of their anonymous viewer and video feature capabilities.  In terms of features we should be prioritizing those that allow for viewer interaction - Call to Actions, Intelligent Forms, Watermarks etc - so organizations can monetize their video content.  This is not about getting 1,000,000 views of a fluffy cat, it is about getting the name and contact details of 10 viewers so they can be outbound marketed to!

RE: External Sharing with Stream or Video

We have public/anonymous video sharing/playback on our roadmap for the future, but aren't actively working on it at this time. We know this is a big ask and important to customers in using any enterprise video solution. We also need to carefully plan a business model and cost structure for how we enable this. Our current thinking (but not finalized) is that there'd be some sort of quota of public/anonymous streaming you get each month with a way to buy more quota if needed. (We have to be responsible in how we offer full public/anonymous video streaming to make sure we can cover the costs of running the service).

Re: RE: External Sharing with Stream or Video

Hi @Marc Mroz. Apologies for picking up this old thread and it reminds me that you and I had this conversation about 2 years ago too. ;-) I'm here today because of link through from the O365 Admin message centre announcement on coming transition plans to Stream. Wonder if you could update with the latest position on external sharing for Stream/Video? What will the relationship be - if any - between other O365 external sharing settings - SPO, Groups, OD4B?

We are nearly finished with work to enable external authenticated access to O365 Video channels. I need to do last mile testing and documentation still. This is going to be tied directly to the ODB/SPO guest users settings for sites/files.

For Stream it'll take us longer to build external sharing there.
External Authenticated Sharing (Guests) - We'll likely leverage the O365 Groups guest user support to enable this in the future in Stream. Stream is joining O365 Groups in the next few months. So when we pick up this project we'll likely use the O365 Groups infrastructure for this.

Public Anonymous External Video - This is on the roadmap for Stream. When we pick up this work we'll likely have a way to mark a video as able to be played by anyone, so you could grab an embed code and put it on any public website. There will be some sort of new quota for anonymous streaming playback that if you go over you'd have to buy more.

Great answer, thanks Marc. I see you haven't lost any of your aptitude for being speedy, useful and thorough! ;-) Really appreciate these kinds of answers - they're a great help in planning our activities.

It's probably too early to share any details of how such a quota might work but from our point of view - albeit we're not necessarily the standard setup - it would be good if the quota allowed small numbers of views for many videos or, if a collective number, then one derived from total licensed users.

@Neil McCafferty - Since we aren't actively working on the "public anonymous playback" at this exact moment in time, it is hard to say what the quota model will be. This is still to be finalized, but to give you an idea of the direction we are thiking... it will likely be some pooled quota that applies to all videos in the tenant. It may likely be derived from number of licesned users similar to how storage quota works in SPO.

Thanks @Marc Mroz. That's precisely the model that I was thinking of/hoping for. ;-)

Is there a way to be notified about this feature when it's released? It would really streamline our business practice, as we're currently using outside suppliers for video hosting (Wistia).

When we add support for external guest access or public anonymous to Stream we'll for sure post on the Stream forum. We'll also start getting into better practice of posting these bigger features on the O365 public roadmap. 

For O365 Video we are hopefully adding Guest access soon. I just need to do last mile verification on end to end scenario. If that works out then we can enable it. And we'd post on the forums letting people know.

Has this been implemented yet?

Hi

I'm confused about why this is taking so long.  It's kind of obvious that organisations who have committed to o365 video will want to share their work externally as well as internally.  So why not make it easy?  We're going to pursue Youtube instead.  Shame, could have been fun.

Agreed. I wouldn't have bothered launching without it IMHO as it would have been a key advantage over O365 Video. Instead of my clients who don't need/want the insights and just need the ability to share videos externally are forced to use guest links from SharePoint or OneDrive.

Public access to videos is essential for my organisation too. I wouldn't have thought that MS would launch without this option being available to admins.

Please add as soon as possible.

RE: External Sharing with Stream or Video

Yes, it's import to allow Office 365 Videos permit share to external users, os Public access (anonymous) to global access . Thank you!
Related Conversations
Jennifer Seitsinger  in  Microsoft Stream Forum  on
8 Replies
Availability
Yinghua Zeng  in  System Center AMA  on
6 Replies
Share with : Custom Group
anonymous-user  in  Microsoft Stream Forum  on
2 Replies
Teams: Granting External Users
Adam Tobias  in  Microsoft Teams AMA  on