UserVoice request - Set Data Classification while creating a group

Iron Contributor

Hi folks,

"How can we set data classification while creating a group?" This is a question I get to hear very frequently from my clients, and today, you CAN NOT set this while creating a group.  You can only set the group data classification AFTER it is created. (Besides Modern Team Site creation experience)

I checked uservoice and there is already a request for this. Would like to bring this feature request to your view. 

O365 Groups classification available on creation form

Groups classification is available from Edit Form. It would be really helpful to have it available while creating new group

https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/286611-office-365-groups/suggestions/17909170-o365-groups-cla...

While maintaining the option to edit the data classification in EDIT group screen, I think it makes sense for a user to set this while they are reviewing the Usage Guideline. 

If you want this feature go VOTE! 

9 Replies

While agree with this, you have it (partially) when you create a Modern Team site...you can choose the classification type for your site and also for the underlying group. And you can use PowerShell when creating a group and add also the classification type: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Use-PowerShell-to-manage-Office-365-Groups-Admin-help-aeb66...

@Juan Carlos González Martín While I appreciate your response, I don't see how PowerShell link you provided to admin. Groups have anything to do with end-user group creation experience? I personally know how-to manage groups as a person in IT and yes I know while creating a modern team site you get the classification as drop-down. That's not my point.

My point is; Group creation end-user experience should be consistent across any entry point to create groups, regardless of Outlook, Planner or else.

Yeap and you have this UI the other way around: when creating a modern team site...it could be a solution while we see what Microsoft finally does around this

While the Outlook and Planner endpoints are being updated, I would point your users to SharePoint Home to create Team Sites and enable the automatic group creation within the SharePoint Admin Console.

The Sharepoint Endpoint has already been updated to support classification.

I've mentioned the lack of this in Outlook on the web some months ago in another thread.

I'd be cautious giving this advice just yet. If an organization has implemented a naming policy, it is not being enforced at any service endpoint but Outlook endpoints. Once AAD Naming policy is rolled out, sure, it doesn't matter.

However, point is still valid that creation forms should be consistent across endpoints to create groups.

True, this would be an issue in a self-service environment.

It isn't for us since I've locked down groups creation for now.

*Warning: Scope Creep Ahead!*

These data classification labels on sites should also do more than just add labels to things as well. As a specific example, these should tie back into Azure Information Protection and what protections it is putting in place on those sites and all the content contained within. Labels are great and bring some awareness to users, but automating some actual protection would go much further.

thats the plan ;) we're still in the preperation phase of moving files to Office 365

My thinking (and hope) is in the future, data classifications will be used to apply different policies for each classifications separately, such as deletion and retention, and as a part of Azure Information Protection. If this wasn't the plan, well may be it should be! it would be cool to have this!