Sharing Office 365 group files and folders

Copper Contributor

I came across issue and tried to post about this before but I don't think my question was very well formed. I have private Office 365 groups. Within those groups I want to share files or folders with users that are not part of the group (let's say in this scenario all shares are done only within organization and same tenant. No external sharing outside of my tenant). Here is what I found:

Scenario 1: Folder shared using Microsoft Flow and Microsoft Graph

When this is done user receives email that folder is shared with them and using link user accessing particular share is able to get into SharePoint site that belongs to specific group, user can get only into document library and user can see/access only files and folders user has access too (see screenshot "Scenario1.png", I have removed some names like group name and folder full name)

Scenario1.png

Scenario 2: Folder shared using "share" button within document library or OneDrive running on device (PC, Mac, etc.)

When this is done user receives email that folder is shared with them and using link they get to the page saying that they need permissions to access page (Sharepoint page). If you grant user access it gives access to entire Sharepoint site and all files and folders or anything else that is in Sharepoint... (see screenshot Scenario2.png)

Scenario2.png

Now why is this a problem and what am I trying to solve? I would like users to use existing Office 365 groups and share folders with non-group members (so there is no need for copies like personal OneDrive shares), but I cannot have user Flow and Microsoft Graph for every single scenario. Am I missing something or this is issue on Microsoft side?

2 Replies

@Ivan Palikuca 

In a Group's Document Library are you clicking on the Share button at the top of the page, or are you clicking on the Share button next to the Folder or File that you are trying to share out?

I believe the Share button at the top is for the whole site, the Share button beside the File or Folder only applies to them.

I haven't tested this myself to verify.

@Cary Siemers

I am using sharing button next to a folder name. and it is interesting that when specific folder is shared with user. If that user goes into "Shared with me" section of personal OneDrive, they can see my group folder listed, but clicking on it comes up with same permissions message.

Ivan