Home

Recommendations on Naming Conventions for O365 Groups

Brent Ellis
Valued Contributor

Recommendations on Naming Conventions for O365 Groups

What are others out there doing for their naming conventions on O365 Groups?  Looking for recommendations, whats working well, what might not be necessary after you implemented it, etc.

13 Replies

Re: Recommendations on Naming Conventions for O365 Groups

Looking at data, not a lot of customers have implemented naming policies since it's not very natural to end users and might reduce engagement, so would not recommend any complex prefix_NAME_suffix. I know of one customer who has just added a "G" in front of the name to differentiate them in AD. Please note that we have not delivered yet naming policies in AzureAD (currently we only apply naming policies to groups created via Outlook endpoints)

We added a prefix for all O365 groups so they could be easily identified in the GAL. If I recall in EAC there's an option to create a group policy. The user can create the group name however they'd like and once the group finishes creation it adds the prefix to the front of it.

We are a company with a single tenant for about a handful of sub-companies. We are completely stuck in our Office 365 roll-out because everything nowadays relies of Groups and there is no way to enforce a naming policy. We prefix our DLs with a short prefix identifying the relevant company and we want to do this for Groups as well, since Groups are listed in the GAL. Currently we're getting spammed with all sorts of weird names because people create Groups via Power BI, Planner and all kinds of places that don't respect the policy we have set in Exchange.

For us it is a huge problem that Microsoft keeps changing everything to use Groups without giving us the necessary admin controls. I can see that the AAD naming policy is still in development, which probably means it will take at least six months before it is rolled out. Until then we are stuck with our users screaming at us to enable all the new features being announced. Of course, we can create the Groups for them manually, but we really don't have the staff for this. And I don't see that as the intention for Groups.

Any suggestions on how we can start using the features relying on Groups without ending in chaos would be greatly appreciated.

We are in the same boat.  We have disabled (as best we can) everything with O365 Groups.  We can't have someone creating a new one as "President@comanyx.com" or just something vulgar in our GAL.  User's also don't know a group they create in OWA it is listed in the GAL (such as "my sister's wedding" that someone created in ours).  All other similar institutions we talk to are doing the same.

Please give us admin controls on the naming conventions and the ability to remove them from the GAL.

We disabled group creation in AAD and made it so that our admin team can create groups on request (this is how our organization currently does all requests for SP sites, email groups, etc, so it made sense). This is to prevent the kind of chaos that you are referring to, ensure we dont have unnecessary duplication, and have some kind of structure. We are only on at the beginning of the process, but we did get out ahead of it before it could run rampid.

And I know, blah blah, empowering end users and shadow IT and all those buzz words, but my biggest complaint against Groups has always been provisioning so much garbage that isnt needed, it makes a massive mess of things for IT.

Someone else mentioned in another thread, it would be potentially a good practice to do some PowerShell scripting and to do something like this: get all groups, if it doesnt have GRP- on the front, add it, otherwise skip:

$O365Groups = Get-UnifiedGroup
foreach ($O365Group in $O365Groups){
Write-Host $O365Group.DisplayName
if($O365Group.DisplayName -like "GRP-*"){
Write-Host "OK" -ForegroundColor Green
} else {
Write-Host "Not OK" -ForegroundColor Red
Set-UnifiedGroup -Identity $O365Group.Name -DisplayName ("GRP-"+($O365Group.DisplayName))
}
}
Highlighted

As mentioned on our public roadmap and at Ignite in this session we are working on these three features around naming policies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfox9-L5Xt0

- naming policy

- banned words

- profanity checking

Directory management – what’s nextDirectory management – what’s next

Microsoft Office 365 Groups helps you collaborate by easily bringing together your colleagues and the applications you need to get work done. Office 365 Groups leverages a standard definition for team membership and permissions across Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SharePoint, and later Skype for ...

I see on the Office blog that the Azure AD Naming Conventions will be available within the next 3 months. That is really great.

Unfortunately it requires Azure AD Premium...

It is really disappointing that every time Microsoft adds something to the cloud service portfolio, we have to pay more. They're continously adding extra layers of higher tier subscriptions and suites. I wonder when we will see the E7 plan...

https://blogs.office.com/2017/04/06/whats-new-in-office-365-groups-for-april-2017/

Will we be able to manage special characters as well?

Interesting this is the first I am seeing this being Premium required. I also see guidelines and classifications are marked as premium. These currently don't require premium so why the change? What about the tenants that are using classifications and guidelines that aren't using premium currently? 

@Christophe Fiessinger

Also I have started moving to a naming standard of "ogrp-" for O365 Groups vs other Groups.

@Brent Ellis, do you hide O365 Groups from your GAL?

With adding a prefix to all groups, what happens to SharePoint sites that are created as O365 Group Connected? Do the sites assume the prefix too?

We don't hide ours from the GAL (at least havent had a need to yet)

We are replacing old Distribution Lists in AD (most of which have been out of date) with each group that gets created if it existed

For the SharePoint site, we add "group_groupnamehere" as the alias, so it's site becomes https://mytenant.sharepoint.com/sites/group_groupnamehere, and the email address is group_groupnamehere@company.com. But the display name is "GROUP - Group Name Here"

Also, what happens when a Microsoft Team is created and creates an Office 365 group? Does it adhere to the groups naming policy?
Related Conversations
audit log reports Group O365 Sites
Hajer Fathallah  in  SharePoint  on
5 Replies
Announcement: New OneDrive Admin Center Preview
Stephen Rose  in  OneDrive for Business  on
119 Replies
Manage automatic creation of direct reports group
Scott Johnson  in  Office 365 Groups  on
100 Replies
Sharing to External Users in an Office 365 Group
Eric Adler  in  Office 365 Groups  on