Office 365 Groups Permission confusion

Copper Contributor

Hey there,

well I don´t know how to describe it other than "confused" :) I am a company administrator for the small tenant of our company. We were using Sharepoint Online for a few years now. But recently we decided to use MS Teams and Office 365 Groups. So one of my users set up all the Teams and assigend owner permissions to my user.

As I try to customize the SPO -Sitecollection of the Office 365 Group I encounter several "Access denied" Messages.

What I can do on the Sitecollection:

- Create Subsites

- Enable some Features (e.g. Enable Documents Sets or Minimal download strategy)

- Manage Permissions for Users

What I can´t do (Access denied):

- Edit the Navigation settings (Site Settings => Navigation)

- Update all subscribed content types from CT-Hub

I really do not see a pattern here. Maybe you can give me some insights?

Thank you

5 Replies

The three "standard" security groups (owners, members, and visitors) should be managed only using the Groups UI and Groups PowerShell cmdlets.

Have you perhaps modified directly the owners group?

Whoa that was quick :)

The three security groups are as they were on group creation (as far as I know) so visitors and owners are empty and in memers is the O365 group itself.

What do you exactly mean by "Groups UI"? I was using the Azure AD (https://aad.portal.azure.com)

OK, that's fine. I should have written "Groups UIs", meaning all the standard UIs by which is possible to manage Groups membership, including the AAD portal.

Maybe @Juan Carlos González Martín can help you...

Enterprise Content Type Hub is supported in modern SPO Site...what are the problems you have to get subscribed to the Hub? In regards of navigation options I guess you want to use publishing infrastructure in your modern SPO Team Sites and I think that's precisely no the idea of modern SPO Team Sites...Have you, by the way, tried to enable publishing features using PowerShell?

The CT-Hub is subscribed already. There are some of my published contenttype present. But the document set content types are missing.

So I enabled the Documents Sets -Feature and navigated to "Content Type Publishing" and checked the first box "refesh all content types on next run" => "OK" results in the request permission scrren. Also tried this with the user who created the O365 Group in the frist place - same error...

Second Problem was about the navigation but I tried an other approach since there is no top navigation, I managed to do a navigation on the side with two topics and some links => Solved

So just the missing Document Set-CTs are left.

Thank you :)