O365 group governance and retention policy

Brass Contributor

Hello,

I dont' know if some of you already think about the governance of Teams and O365 groups ( Conversation, files , notes, etc). I'm currently testing it to see the real behavior.

I configured a Retention policy for each service ( Exchange online, sharepoint online, O365 groups, Teams ) . The goal is to keep all the DATA FOREVER as we are working in a financial institution.

As you know all , when you are creating a team site, a groupmail mailbox is created  and a sharepoint site is created . Fine .

To see the groupmailbox of the O365 group and Team there are 2 ways :

Get-UnifiedGroup -ResultSize unlimited | select Displayname,name,*size*,manage*,recipien*,share*,accessty*,primary*,hidden*,GroupMemberCount | Out-GridView

or 

Get-mailbox -GroupMailbox -resultsize unlimited

After applying the retention policy , I can't delete anymore any Sharepoint site ( Popup : Can't delete site : A compliance policy is currently blocking this site deletion) 

Wonderfull .... I will keep all the sharepoint site and in case of legal and audit investigation, you can check 

Now I'm trying to delete an O365 group or a Team Site .... and it's working . The team site is deleted.

I checked the associated sharepoint site and great the sharepoint site has not been deleted

Then I was looking for the groupmailbox ( get-mailbox -groupmailbox -inactivmailbox) ... the groupmailbox from this team site has been deleted . This means that in 30 days , I will lose all data conversation .

I got 2 questions:

1. Why the retention policy is not working for groupmailbox of teams and O365 . I have enabled the same FOREVER retention policy as the sharepoint once.

2. Is it a way to put the groupmail mailbox in a status "inactive mailbox" like for normal user and shared mailboxes ? I tried but impossible to set litigationhold to true  ?

I'm really looking a way to keep any data from all O365 application in case of investigation .

The retention policy is not working as expected or I missed something . The sharepoint data are moved to the "Preservation Hold Library" when a document is deleted and the exchange recoverable items are working well as well .

Hope to get some feedback .

0 Replies