New feature: Recover deleted Office 365 Group via PowerShell

Microsoft

If you've deleted an Office 365 group, it's now retained by default for a period of 30 days. Within that period, you can now restore the group and its associated apps and data via a new PowerShell cmdlet.  For additional information please go to https://aka.ms/groupssoftdelete.

RestoreGroup.JPG

50 Replies

I've tested this and yes the group and files have restored but not the team I had setup in teams

the size of the group was tiny, probably only 2mb worth of files.

Does it just generally take quite a while for a teams team recreate itself?

My test team doesnt appear to have restored. For this to work and when creating a team is there a pre-requisite of a group for that team already existing? Therefore, (1) create group first and then (2) create team and link it to that group - then when you do the restore it restores the team? Seems long-winded but if that's the solution then that's OK.
Chris it should have been restored, please contact support to get this investigated further.

Hi Chris,

Once the 30 days is over, I understand that the group will be purged. 

Is it still possible to submit a help ticket to Microsoft within 14 days after 30 days to have it recovered? 

Kind Regards

Vincent Ha

installed AzureADPreview 2.0.0.127 and Windows management Framework 5.0 on windows 7 64bit.   But when I run Get-AzureADMSDeletedGroup, I get "The term 'Get-AzureADMSDeletedGroup' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.  Do I need to install anything else in order to run this PowerShell?

Thanks.

Akiko

Is it possible to restore a group if the domain name of the group has been removed from the tenant since deletion of the group?

What's the procedure for permanent deletion? the -permanent switch is designated for internal Microsoft Use only according to the documentation for the Remove-UnifiedGroup command. And attempting to use it in Azure PowerShell results in the following error: 

A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'Permanent'.
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Remove-UnifiedGroup], ParameterBindingException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,Remove-UnifiedGroup
+ PSComputerName : ps.outlook.com

Found the Answer in the Linked article. 

Remove-AzureADMSDeletedDirectoryObject –Id <objectId>

Hey Chris, 

We have a unique scenario that I'd like to get some feedback for.. 

-Office 365 group gets deleted

-30 days pass 

- Retention policy is in place ( which includes groups) 

-what happens to the group? is it still recoverable or searchable in the compliance portal?