Leave Group URL error message

Copper Contributor

Hi, I am currently using the following URL format to allow for voluntary joining of my group org-wide: https:// outlook.office.com/owa/GroupName@Organization.onmicrosoft.com/groupsubscription.ashx?action=join&guid=e12b34d1-23c4-567a-bd89-b123ac4df567. When users click this link (usually sent out via email), it acts as a "Subscribe" button taking them to a page to join the group. I prefer it this way because the link can be embedded in email signatures, intranet pages, anywhere without the need for active management or invitation emails.

What I'd like as well is an unsubscribe link. 

https:// outlook.office.com/owa/GroupName@Organization.onmicrosoft.com/groupsubscription.ashx?action=leave&guid=e12b34d1-23c4-567a-bd89-b123ac4df567 will take you to a similar page to leave the group, but after clicking OK to leave, I get the dreaded: "Your request couldn't be completed. Please try again. If the problem continues, contact your email admin."

Does anyone know why this might not work as expected? I've had others test it and they've had the same error message and it doesn't appear to be a permission level issue since we're at different levels. Clearly O365 intends for this function to work.

I'm not an admin so wondering if any of you admins out there might be able shed some light before I go bugging mine.

2 Replies
Well, the problem I see here is that it migh happen both URLs for joining or leave a team are not officially supported and that's could be a possible explanation why this is not working for the leave option....migth I ask how did you get to know both URLs?

You can try it out with your own group/team and guid. It takes you to a landing page to confirm that you want to leave under a O365 banner. For the "join" version, I used the "invite others" link provided in the group settings page in People. This differs from add members since it's just a link instead of actually adding the member manually. On a whim, I replaced "join" in the URL with "leave" and since it took me a page specifically meant for leaving a group, my assumption is that it is indeed supported.