Introducing 'Follow in inbox' and other improvements for managing group emails in Outlook

Microsoft

The latest set of updates for Groups in Outlook introduces new ways to manage the group emails you receive in your inbox. These updates are, in large part, based on customer feedback about the Groups subscription model. That model has now been replaced with Follow in inbox.

Read more on these feature improvements in our Outlook blog post.

We are rolling out these improvements in a phased manner. So, if you don’t see these improvements in your version of Outlook yet, please be patient. We’ll get these features to you soon!

Thank you for all the feedback. Let us know what you think of these latest updates.

28 Replies

@Ravin Sachdeva you have mentioned "we have recently made a change to set all members to follow a group in Inbox by default at create time", where do you set this up? In our environment it is right now off and I don't know how to change behavior, I've been researching online but no luck, can you point out where is this default setting or powershell command that I need to execute?

Ivan

@Ravin Sachdeva 

I just got off the phone with MS Tech support and they told me the thing i want is not available yet. I hope you can clarify.

Recently a client of ours changed their "old skool" ditribution lists to the new office 365 groups, and they want to use them the same as a distribution list; people send mail to the Office365 group and the members recieve the email in their OWN Inbox.
I noticed someone else in this post asked you teh exact same question; is there a way in powershell to handle this. The only way i found was in the guy and is on a user level. I need to drive to the user / make a remote session to the user, open his/hers Outlook, fould out the groups pane and select the correct group. Than i need to tick an option were it says "Follow in Inbox" and after these manual acts the user will recieve the emails that are send to the Office365 group in their own Inbox.
U told someone earlier that we can manage this trough "Set-UnifiedGroup" with attribute -AutoSubscribeNewMembers, but this is not what we are looking for since this will only enable the following "Subscribed members get conversations and calendar events delivered to their inbox. Otherwise, they'll only see them in the group's inbox."
As you can see "Conversations and calendar events", no email messages.

So, is there a powershell command that works for the emails? Enabling "Follow in Inbox" on the users level?

A powershell script for receiving your own sent email back in inbox for Outlook Groups is NOT yet available. We are currently working on some higher priority items and do not have plans to build a powershell script for bulk management of sent emails. At this time, users would have to individually set their setting from OWA.
Hope that clarifies.

@Ravin Sachdeva 

It wasn't the response i was hoping for, but i now know what i can expect.
Thank you for the reply!

"Conversation" is email so so if user is subscribed to "conversations" they will receive emails to their inbox. In addition if you made change to "subscribe" users you can always automate 1 time task to read all members, remove all members and add all members, that way they will be added as "new" and subscribed.

Ravin, please we need Groups to work like Distribution lists. Why cause all this chaos at our office. Should I forward all the "Why don't I see my message in my inboxes" to you?

You want me to tell everyone "Oh now check two inboxes daily" .

"Check all the groups for a new number "

This is not how office workers work... INBOX INBOX INBOX.

Groups is a failure.

I ticked the "Subscribe new members" box but the user still wont recieve the emails send to the group in there personal Inbox, also removed members from the group and re-added them. So i need to tell a CEO of a company who is paying me big bucks to automate stuff for him that he needs to expand the group in his Outlook and needs to click a button to subscribe to the mailbox?
His first reaction was.. Hmm what's wrong with the old way.. And i can't blame him. So now i had to reconfigure al the groups that I "upgraded" (Ye Microsoft calls it an upgrade..) to a Office365 back to a distribution list.

Yep I agree... all these new features forgetting how 'old schoolers' work... Not good. I have a similar thread in another post...

Even if he subscribes it still won't include his 'own' messages!
I cant believe in my other post one guy found the solution for me..

Apparently you have to login to the 'WEB" version of Outlook office.com and click the gear settings on top right, then 'View all outlook settings' and then select Groups THEN and only then you get the crazy option "[ ] Send me a copy of email I sent to a group"

OMG...