Disable email being sent to newly added users

Deleted
Not applicable

Hi,

We have had a request come in that an owner wants to add around 100 users to a O365 group but they do not want the users receiving an email to advise they have been added to the group. The owner would like to send out their own email.

Is there is way to disable this email and just be able to add the users to the group. 

Thanks,

Shaun

6 Replies

I wonder if going into the Group Settings and unchecking the box that says "Send copies of all group messages and events to member's inboxes..." would do that for you?

Hi Bruce,

This does not stop the welcome message being sent out however I came across the powershell command to disable this. By default for us the group is created with WelcomeMessage set as True, to disable (set to false) this you need to run the following command:

Set-UnifiedGroup -Identity "Name of your group" -UnifiedGroupWelcomeMessageEnabled:$false

This stops the welcome message from being sent. 

Regards, 

Shaun

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

And for those wondering how you can check the status of your group to make sure it worked...

Get-UnifiedGroup | Where-Object{$_.WelcomeMessageEnabled -eq $false}

...will return a list of groups with that flag set to false.

Hi @Bruce Weatherford 

I found this thread as I got exactly the same wish. Disable the mail "You have been added to a team in Microsoft Teams" coming to a new team member. 

I have checked my team/group and the parameter WelcomeMessageEnabled is set to False already (I haven't changed anything). 

So my question is, has this parameter been appreciated and no longer respected, or is there anything else we can do to disable the welcome mail coming in?

/Mike

I took a closer look into this, and it appears at least to me that if I run the PowerShell to set the 'UnifiedGroupWelcomeMessageEnabled' to false, although it shows as 'false' in the PowerShell output (run Get-UnifiedGroup -Identity <the_group_you_are_working_on> | Format-List), the 'Welcome' emails are still sent for a period of time. Presumably an internal Microsoft timer job runs at some point to actually apply the setting to the back end).

The interesting thing is that I ran the same PowerShell to check the setting (i.e., Get-UnifiedGroup -Identity <the_group_you_are_working_on> | Format-List), the WelcomeMessageEnabled attribute has been reset to 'True'. I don't know why this would be. Be great for some other people to see if this occurs for them, too. Simply run the 'Get-UnifiedGroup....' cmdlet on a group that you have previously set UnifiedGroupWelcomeMessageEnabled to false and see what the WelcomeMessageEnabled attribute is set as.

Weirdly though, despite the WelcomeMessageEnabled showing as 'True', it doesn't look like the Welcome emails are being sent. I added a member to the group I have been working on for this test 30 minutes ago and no Welcome email has been received. Will keep checking on this throughout the day.

All seems a bit random and hard to have any faith that a) setting the UnifiedGroupWelcomeMessageEnabled to false is going to work, b) if it does work, when it will take effect, and c) if it is reset to true, what this actually means.