Disable Conversations in Groups for group members

Deleted
Not applicable

Is there a way to disable conversations in a Team's associated O365 Group? We are a K12, and essentially we want to keep all conversations up in our Teams,  but we regularly have kiddos starting conversations down in the associated Group.  We'd like to prevent teachers from having to police two separate conversation places if at all possible . 

Thoughts? Suggestions?

5 Replies

Hi James,

Just to clarify, when you say "disable conversations in groups", are you mainly referring to preventing the Office 365 Groups members from interacting with the group through Outlook? 

Thanks,

Mike

Yes and no.  Staff doesn't want students to use the Conversation feature of the Group at all.  Now, I know i can restrict the ability to send to the group via their mailbox in Outlook using Delivery Management in Exchange, but I have been unable to find anything that prevents users from just going into Group, going to conversations, clicking "New", and sending a message to the group.   I'm guessing that is because message done this way aren't really being sent by the user through their mailbox, but by the group on behalf of the user (at least that's how it makes sense in my head).    Failing that I would settle for moderation on the group, but I don't think Office 365 Groups supports moderation like DLs do.

We would like to turn "conversations" off too, since it doesn't work with our on-premise exchange. Users are clicking the link from groups and getting an error message.

Hi,

Is there an update on this? I have to disable the conversation thread in one specific Group, as we have moved the functionality to Sales Force.

Ben

You can hide Groups from Exchange clients. This was originally designed for groups created by Teams, but it might do the trick for you. https://www.petri.com/hiding-office-365-groups-exchange-clients